The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sugars are usually in the 300s to 500s and they never seen to come down. I am on insullin now and it still not working. Now when i say I dont eat properly, i dont mean i eat junk food, but just that i dont eat when I have to or what I am supposed to. Also I am addicted to soda. I have done so many things not to be, but I am and is hard living it... please help

·
Registered
663 Posts
Also I am addicted to soda. I have done so many things not to be, but I am and is hard living it... please help
Hello Sherry, Welcome to our forum. :)
The soda is your problem and count your carbs. I am sorry Sherry. :(
Getting the BG to a happy level will take some time as you limit your carb intake. :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sory your having motavation problems

I found Diet soda taste OK its the after taste that stinks. That is for the first week then when you drink regular soda IT taste like crap.

carbs raise BG, ALL carbs raise BG

your saying, you would rather drink regular soda than keep your eye sight? those BG numbers will lead to going blind and other bad stuff.

Diabetes is very much a disease that is controlled by you.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Until you learn to count carb grams and test after consuming, you will not be able to control your blood sugar.

I am however here to tell you, I DID IT. You can, too.

Dump the stinkin sodas and you will stop the roller coaster and get things under control.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My sugars are usually in the 300s to 500s and they never seen to come down. I am on insullin now and it still not working. Now when i say I dont eat properly, i dont mean i eat junk food, but just that i dont eat when I have to or what I am supposed to. Also I am addicted to soda. I have done so many things not to be, but I am and is hard living it... please help
Welcome to the forum sherryplus :)

I would say that you have made a big stride in getting control just by asking for help! We are all here to support each other and it helps so much to talk to others that struggle with the same issues everyday.

I am not going to tell you that running blood sugars that high is dangerous. You know as well as I do that it just kills you slowly...a piece at a time. It is damaging your nerves, your heart, your kidneys, your eyes, etc. Scary, I know, but its the truth. If you want to live a long a healthy life you simply have to get control. Its all about choices.

You are on insulin, are you T1 or T2? Does your body still make any insulin? Do you have issues with insulin resistance? I ask this because a lot of the choices you make in *your* control depend on them. For instance, I am T2, but I no longer produce insulin. So, in a way, my pancreas does not work the same way as a T2, it is more like a T!...but I have pretty significant insulin resistance issues so my control is not the same as a T1...I am somewhere in the middle.

No matter what type you are, it is important to be aware of how many carbs you are eating, and how much insulin you require to cover those carbs. That is a major key to controlling your blood sugar. Are you taking only a basalar insulin like Lantus, or Levemir? Are you taking a combination therapy of a basal insulin and a fast acting insulin to cover meals (best for control in someone that is not on a pump)? Do you also take any oral meds?

Have you seen a diabetes educator for instruction on carb counting? If not...I highly recommend it. Just being on insulin is not enough to control your blood sugar if you are eating too many carbs compared to how much insulin you are taking. You either need more insulin...or less carbs.

The soda is doing a number on you. Regular sugared soda is nothing but empty carbs with absolutely NO nutritional value. The only time I ever drink regular soda is if I am out and need a quick fix for a low. I can not even stand the taste of it anymore since it is way too sweet. Try Coke Zero. Thats my favorite. It has all the flavor of real coke but isnt as sicky sweet tasting. I dont care for Diet coke at all....but the Coke Zero rocks!

Please feel free to ask any questions that you need to. We are all here to help :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sherry, we're here to help & support you all that we can. You can do it and you have to do it, or else jeopardize your health and your life.

edit: Having just read more on your "accomplia" thread, I think this quote from from the netdoctor link posted there by John.in.France may be relevant here:
(accomplia) may commonly cause mood changes, including symptoms of depression. If you begin to feel depressed or have any distressing thoughts or feelings while taking this medicine, then it is very important to stop taking this medicine and talk to your doctor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts