The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned that we are supposed to wear diabetic socks. This is news of personal interest.

Does anyone know where I can buy them? I checked the store here and they are not selling them here.

Ruth

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't understand why socks would have diabetes.
lol

I've seen them in Australia in a pharmacy/drug store....they're just socks with a looser top band. The idea being not to cut the blood flow off to you're tootsies

O

·
0 Posts
lol Shanny... fair enough :D
I actually like being bare footed at home (although I know I'm not supposed to being diabetic and all). But I look for comfort shoes for outdoors, work, & such. For me the look of the shoes is equally important. But I'm not a sock person... only when I wear my asics really. I do wear stockings in winter.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love your answer. That's a good one!! I want what's best for my feet. They are the first to go. I have diabetes shoes and now I find out that I need diabetes socks. I want to protect my feet, so I do not get gangrene in my feet.

I have always believed in protecting my feet, diet and exercise so that I do not have complications.

I am 68 years old and still learning. Thank you for your answer.

Ruth

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think if you have problems with your feet you may need diabetic socks. I bought them for my dad. I got them at Walmart. I have problem with leg swelling so if I am travelling I wear compression socks which I buy online. Since diabetics tend to suffer from Neuropathy and foot wounds if their bgs are high, they may have more foot injuries. I don't see if you manage your bgs that it would be necessary.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I bought my diabetic socks (I have to give them insulin an everything;) ) here. You kind of have to look around for a good pair and price but I have had the same 7 pairs for over a year now and, honestly, they are the most comfortable socks I have ever owned.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think if you have problems with your feet you may need diabetic socks. I bought them for my dad. I got them at Walmart. I have problem with leg swelling so if I am travelling I wear compression socks which I buy online. Since diabetics tend to suffer from Neuropathy and foot wounds if their bgs are high, they may have more foot injuries. I don't see if you manage your bgs that it would be necessary.
I am just starting to have problems with my feet. I also have epilepsy which complicates things. Diabetes and epilepsy do not get along.

I had a shot in my foot where there is a lump. It is to get the pain and largeness to go down He is a podiatrist. He knows what he is doing. He has taken care of my feet for a long time, now. This time the lump turned real hard and I was in pain. It was a cortizone shot. I have had it before without any problems.

I put Hibcliens on the bottom of my foot and it is almost completely healed.

I just accidentally ran across diabetes socks on the internet. I have always taken care of my feet. I know that the feet are the first to go for amputation. I do not want that to happen to me. My A1c was 5.5 just a month ago.

If I had known about the socks when I first got diabetes, I would have bought them way back then. I have been wearing diabetic shoes for years. I found out about them from a shoe saleswoman when I needed good walking shoes. I said I was a diabetic and she told me the diabetic shoes were what I needed. They are comfortable and I have been wearing them ever since then.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Reactions: fiesta

·
Registered
460 Posts
Every time I see this thread title I want to respond "Diabetes socks... it certainly does!" :drum:

Seriously I am not aware of any special need for any special socks purely by virtue of our diagnosis... unless or until you have some developing food issues... otherwise it sounds to me like another way to get money out of our wallets :whistle:

Keep your feet clean and dry, apply moisturizer if needed to keep the skin supple, trim nails straight across, daily inspections for hidden cuts especially on the soles etc.., we are generally advised not to go bare-foot but I ignore that one, avoid heat sources or too hot baths, wear clean dry socks if any (I buy relatively cheap tube socks and replace them at the first sign of wear), comfortable well fitted shoes AND when you see your Doctor take your shoes and socks off even if she/he doesn't ask!

Reactions: Tiggletaggle

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Every time I see this thread title I want to respond "Diabetes socks... it certainly does!" :drum:

Seriously I am not aware of any special need for any special socks purely by virtue of our diagnosis... sounds to me like another way to get money out of our wallets :whistle:

Keep your feet clean and dry, apply moisturizer if needed to keep the skin supple, trim nails straight across, daily inspections for hidden cuts especially on the soles etc.., we are generally advised not to go bare-foot but I ignore that one, avoid heat sources or too hot baths, wear clean dry socks if any (I buy relatively cheap tube socks and replace them at the first sign of wear), comfortable well fitted shoes AND when you see your Doctor take your shoes and socks off even if she/he doesn't ask!
I think this is really important. When I went in for my second or third appointment with my endo he didn't do a foot test. I asked why and he said it wasn't important to do it every time. I decided he needed to do what I wanted done and we do it every time now.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Dense alert!

If we have no neuropathy and controlled blood sugar, and tend to wash our feet (and paint our toes!) - what would we be wanting a doc to check for that we couldn't already have seen or felt?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reason that I need diabetic socks is because I have Epilepsy and I had a bad fall last October. I was in a wheelchair for a while. I still have problems exercising and that is bad on my circulation.

I do check my feet everyday. Up until a few months ago, they were fine. Then I got a painful lump in my left foot. My podiatrist gave me a shot to relieve the pain and to make the lump smaller. After that, I got real bad pain. The bottom of my foot did not look right. I used Hibiclens to help get rid of the infection.

The infection is almost gone. It is real tiny now. I still have pain in my left leg. I hope you now understand why I need the socks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My doctor told me I should be wearing compression stockings because of edema in both legs. He just told me to go to the pharmacy and buy a pair there, which I did. They are the worst, most uncomfortable pair of stockings I've ever had and I hate them plus they were very expensive. Tomorrow I have to see a 'vein doctor' to have an ultrasound of both legs to see what may be causing the edema.

Are there any diabetic socks or compression socks that are "comfortable"? Socks made of nylon make my skin feel really irritated. My feet hurt a lot and I do see a Podiatrist every two months. I don't go bare foot anywhere including my home because of the pain I already have in my feet. Oh.......one of my doctors told me the pain was because I am overweight. :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks Rosa - I will see if our local Walmart has them. It will be a lot closer to drive (especially with today's gas prices) than the nearest town which is 20 miles away.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts