The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Diabetic Test Number 58

(... because a while back somebody (a fellow Canuck, I believe) posted a test number 57 lol...)

So, Last night I made up some pork chops for the family... I made them with a little spice, then decided to add a little sweet so I baked (microwaved) some sliced apples with butter, splenda (or equal, I dunno) brown sugar (which is mostly brown sugar with a little artificial sweetener) and some cinnamon. Sweet, delicious topping for a spicy chop, made it nice.

Last night I had the pork chop with NO topping, because I was being good. And low-carb.

For my experiment this evening, (I call it an experiment, but ... honestly, I was just being bad...) I did the following:

1. Tested my BG before dinner, then
2. Ate one of those leftover chops, loaded with sweet, sugary, apple-y topping...
3. For my side dish I had leftover hamburger helper (mmm... carby thick sauce with noodles...).
4. I ate no healthy veggies.
5. For dessert I had a NSA (no-sugar-added) ice-cream sandwich.
6. Two hours post-dinner I tested my BG.

Conclusion:
Surprisingly enough, I'm still diabetic. I had a 2.5 point rise (or about 45 points on the US scale) from pre- to post-dinner.

Shocking, I know. :eek:

Here's the GOOD news... Exercise brought the BG down.

I hopped on my bike about 5 minutes after the high reading and started pedaling... warmed up for a full 5 minutes, then increased the resistance and the cadence for about 15 minutes. Then an all-out sprint for one full minute, and going back to my moderate cadence after the sprint. Did that for another 4 minutes for a total of 20 minutes (not including warmup). Then I spent a little over 5 minutes cooling down. (Worked up quite the sweat... was on the bike 30 minutes in total.)

Immediately after cool-down I tested my BG (twice, to be sure) and was down to 6.3 (About 113 for the U.S. folks)! Woo Hoo!

I'm thinking of re-testing in another hour or two to see if it stays or rises or what it does in the hour-or-two after exercise... I figure my results will differ from others, but it's worth testing a few times to see...

·
Registered
165 Posts
not a horrible spike for so many carbs but good on you for hitting the bike. FWIW I find that sprints really help lower down my sugars for me as well

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a horrible spike for so many carbs but good on you for hitting the bike. FWIW I find that sprints really help lower down my sugars for me as well
Well, I tested again 1 hr post-exercise. It rose a little to 6.8.

Evening snack was some broccoli and carrots with dip, and celery with natural (homemade) peanut butter.

Morning (fasting) BG was 7.8 (140) ... argh.

·
Registered
165 Posts
still pretty good numbers definitely would have been worse if you hadn't spun it out. keep up the great work you are getting the hang of this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts