The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
i came across some information that i would like to share with everyone, i really dont know if its true and i need your opinion on this, i've copy pasted part of the info and a link of where it can be found, please leave a comment with your opinions on the topic, thanks

Experimental and clinical evidence:

Dietary restriction and glucose regulation in aging rhesus monkeys: a follow-up report at 8.5 yr.
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001 Oct;281(4):E757-65
Gresl TA, Colman RJ, Roecker EB, Havighurst TC, Huang Z, Allison DB, Bergman RN, Kemnitz JW. Wisconsin Regional Primate Research Center, Madison 53715, USA.

Very-low-calorie-diets: is there a place for them in the management of the obese diabetic?
Diabetes Metab 2000 Jun;26 Suppl 3:46-51
Monnier L; Colette C; Percheron C; Boniface H.
Service des Maladies Metaboliques, Hopital Lapeyronie, Montpellier.
It is well-recognized that standard caloric restrictions (1500 kcal/day) are usually poorly effective in achieving weight losses in overweight type 2 diabetic patients. For that reason very-low-calorie-diets (VLCDs) were developed as a mean for initiating or accelerating weight reduction. Short-term studies indicate that VLCDs result generally in weight losses that are three times greater than those obtained with standard low-calorie-diets. Fasting blood glucose values are improving in parallel to weight losses and in many patients the improvement in glycemic control is better than that expected from the magnitude of weight losses. However the results are rather disappointing after several months or years of follow-up. For example it has been demonstrated that weight regain can be observed as soon as the patient is shifted to a refeeding or maintenance dietary program at the end of the VLCD period. Long-term results on glycemic control and body weight reduction are generally similar with standard low-calorie-diets and with VLCDs, the final results depending on the magnitude of weight loss whatever the prescribed diet. At short-term the VLCDs can be helpful first for initiating weight losses and second for sensitizing the patient to the potential benefits of complying to dietary measures.
more of the info can be found at anti-aging-plan

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey there Mark - are you on a very low calorie diet to control your blood sugar? Seems to make sense that you'd lose some weight - fewer calories in, more fat burned! I'd love to garner the benefit of your insight.

Jen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
As a treatment for diabetes, a low carbohydrate diet is much more effective than a low calorie diet. If I paid strict attention to my calorie intake and ignored my csrb intake, I could have high blood sugar. I actually count my carbs to know the proper insulin dosages and ignore the calories. I average 150g of carbs per day and I do not gain weight. When I needed to lose weight I ate only 130g of carbs per day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Furthermore, I am singularly unimpressed with the folderol I found at "anti-aging-plan". We all began aging the day we were born, and the only way to stop aging is to die.
No thanks! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used to be the queen of dieting for the past 25 years. Every diet I tried- low fat, low calorie, low carb - I would lose but would always gain it back + more. When I became diabetic 4 years ago I realised I didn't need a diet but a life long way of eating. If you go too low calorie, your metabolism slows down so that defeats the purpose. I'm sure many of us have experienced liver dumps when we don't eat enough food. I finally found a diet that was a combination of a lot of other things I was already doing. It is called the Diet Soulution Program. It gives you tons of food to eat. You put together the diet plan that works for you. She has a few simple rules. Eat as natural as possible, free range, no hormone added meat, cage free egg, organic dairy product, no soy products, no processed wheat . The only bread she allows is sprouted grain bread like Eziekel. She feels most people don't eat enough at meals. A typical breakfast for her would be 2 eggs, 1 piece of sprouted toast, 1 cup of veggies, 1 small fruit( if bg allows). I usually don't eat the fruit unless my bg is in the 80's. She also recommends using Coconut Oil as your main fat. I was able to lose my last 13 pounds on 2 months of this diet and I can maintain weight within a pound or two eating over 2000 calories most days. Also my bgs have never been better.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wags, that sounds like a great way of eating. We can watch our carbs and lose weight, and still eat lots of calories. There are people I know who do not believe that. They think it is always about calorie restriction, exclusively.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have been reading some of the Diet Solution Plans recommendations and even following some of it. Have not dived into it totally yet.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It gives you tons of food to eat. You put together the diet plan that works for you. [using] a few simple rules.
This makes perfect sense to me . . . why people think they need a specific list of DOs and DON'Ts is beyond me. Using basic guidelines, how hard can it be to work out your own personal way of eating that keeps you in control of BG, weight, and whatever else you may need to deal with such as food allergies, etc.

It's sure good to have you posting, jwags . . . hope you keep comin' back! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
This is the first diet my Type 2 husband has jumped on because he can eat real food, just not a lot of junk food. She even says you don't need to make all the changes at once. She was a nutritionist who designed the diet over 3 years to help her clients. In the process she found it helped her type 2 diabetic mom keep her blood sugar in a good range. She also believes our metabolisms are different and some of us respond to high protein diets, some of us need more carbs and some need a combination. She has a metabolic typing test that you take to figure out what type you are. I don't follow her diet 100% but follow most of it and throw a little Bernstein in. This is how I found out about the wonders of coconut oil and sprouted grain bread.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On a lower carb, high fat diet my LDL is under 100, HDL is 89 and Trigs are under 100, BP is usually under 110/75 or lower.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This makes perfect sense to me . . . why people think they need a specific list of DOs and DON'Ts is beyond me. Using basic guidelines, how hard can it be to work out your own personal way of eating that keeps you in control of BG, weight, and whatever else you may need to deal with such as food allergies, etc.
I fully agree with Shanny. I've been following Dr. Barnard's vegan diet with great success as far as glucose control is concerned, but there are other problems - I can't maintain my weight on it. Soooo, I plan to modify the diet gradually, testing all the way. We have this great tool - the meter - that can help us tailor a diet specific to our own physiology and preferences.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts