Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Diabetes Treatment

15K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  parthad 
#1 ·
Hi all

I had been diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus 2 years back with high sugar levels of 330 (PP) and 643(random). I had symptoms (realised later) of weightloss, leg cramps and tiredness.

The type of diabetes could not been diagnosed as teratment with insulin was started immediately.

Since then I was under Novmix30 - 20 units daily. With balanced diets, controlled carbohydrates and sugar intake, the sugar levels were under control and HBa1C count between 6-7%.

However 6 months back, the sugar levels had started to rise and HBA1c had alsod increased to 8%. There had not been any change in lifetyle that could cause this. While I was advised to increase the insulin intake, it did not help. Then my diabetologist, introduced Glimisave m2 and gradually reduced insulin. This has significantly improved the sugar levels and its almost normal now.

Recently, on a routine medical chek up, the medical practitioner advised that I should stop Glimisave immediately as it is harmful for the beta cells.

I would like to have information

1. Is ther eany means to find out now whether I am type 1 /2
2. Is Glimisave harmful for pancreas

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are only on 20 units of 70/30 mix and your A1C is about 6-7%, in my honest opinion I think that you are T2, your A1C is good and your insulin usuage is low. A type 1 usually have higher readings and need more insulin. Your doctor can run a C-Peptide blood test and then there is an OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test). Glimisave is a sulfonylurea and it stimulates the pancreas to work harder and some people will say that it harms the pancreas. I have been taking a sulfonylurea since 2000 and I take Lantus & Novolog. I don't think that I make much insulin anymore and I may have burned most of my beta cells by using drugs to stimulate it. If you can do without it, then that would be great. I am just trying to keep my blood glucose under control and Glipizide helps me.

#5 ·
Just a thought here, typically T1's are diagnosed early on in life.

#8 ·
Then you are still producing insulin

#9 ·
diabetes treatment

guys, i have diabetes , my Bg level is 8.9 before breakfast and after taking the breakfast it was 18.9. i am new in this field , i am a new diabetic patient , since then i am just keep running and running. Doctors prescribe me Galvus ( vildagliptin) 50 Mg by Novartis before breakfast and comet ( Metformin HCL BP 500 mg) after dinner.

After this diagnosis ,i feel realy bad and since then i am keep running and running and after that i did not go to doctor or even further test.
Please help seniors what to do and what are the test need to be done at the initial stage to determine others parameter of diabetes.

pleae help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i also heard there is one time insulin intake and it works for six months or may be a year , there is a experiment is taking place in india.

indian , guys please help and provide us some info regarding this .
like what is the data of this experiment and specially what is the success rate , please help :eek:

#10 ·
guys, i have diabetes , my Bg level is 8.9 before breakfast and after taking the breakfast it was 18.9. i am new in this field , i am a new diabetic patient , since then i am just keep running and running. Doctors prescribe me Galvus ( vildagliptin) 50 Mg by Novartis before breakfast and comet ( Metformin HCL BP 500 mg) after dinner.

After this diagnosis ,i feel realy bad and since then i am keep running and running and after that i did not go to doctor or even further test.
Please help seniors what to do and what are the test need to be done at the initial stage to determine others parameter of diabetes.

pleae help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i also heard there is one time insulin intake and it works for six months or may be a year , there is a experiment is taking place in india.

indian , guys please help and provide us some info regarding this .
like what is the data of this experiment and specially what is the success rate , please help :eek:
By the way my present age is 33 .my BP also somtimes get high like 120/97 , the lower one is always getting high.

Can anyone tell , why this lower one is high and what are the reasons , can anyone explain and waht i need to do to control the BP.

#11 · (Edited)
Hi welcome to the forum and all that...I think your stress levels are affecting your BP, if any medicine or insulin is in experimental stage it takes atleast 3 or 4 yrs for that to come into market. Listen to what your doctor says and follow diligently..Commonsense is more required for diabetes control. Be on the forum and ask your doubts, go through other's experiences. Dont eat any fried stuff, and cut your salt intake to control your BP and instead of running take to walking briskly that too when your sugars are stable. Moderate exercise and tight control on what we eat is important for diabetic. EAt low carb and low fat meals, consult any good nutritionist for how many calories you need to eat according to your wt, ht and activity and types of food also...Goodluck!
Ps: Dont stop going to the doctor and getting the tests done. It wont stop the diabetes.

#13 ·
Hello Nancy and :welcome: to the forum! Visit often and take care!

#14 ·
Hi Nancy. Sad but true....once your body can actually make use the the food you're eating weight gain can be a bit of a problem, but it doesn't have to be. What's on the menu? Low(er) carbing can be your best strategy, so try reducing or eliminating starchy carbs like rice, potatoes, grains. This can help keep your insulin use to a minimum. I also find that fruit is difficult to bolus for, so I limit it to blackberries, strawberries and small amounts of citrus and apples.

Anyway - I'm glad you've joined us and hope we can offer some assistance.

Jen

#15 ·
Hi Nancy - love welcoming another Tarheel to the forum. There seem to be a number of us now :) Though I live in CA, I grew up in NC and spend half the year here caring for my mom.

There's lots of great info and support here.

#16 ·
Hi

Hi Deepanjan and All,

I have recently diagnosed and my sugar levels have been detected high (13.2 % random , 10% Fasting). I don't know what could have caused it and thus consulting doctor. My question to the forum is :

1. How normal is it for a 35 year old (my age) person to high such high sugar level?
2. Do I have to be under medication for whole of my life even if I can control my food intake and exercise regularly?

I have just been prescribed GALVUS 50 MG and GLIMISAVE M 1 Mg tablets for a week and then go for few checks after a week. I am bit lost here and need some guidance from the group.

Thanks & Regards,

Partha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.