The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am glad you can manage your diabetes without drugs. But many of us can't. I was never overweight at diagnosis and always exercised. So that was never a factor in my diabetes management. Once I was dx'd I did go on a fairly low carb diet which helped somewhat but not enough. For me to keep bgs in the 100-120 range I need Metformin. I do think with any drugs, even asprin you need to beware of the side effects. Lactic Acidosis is very rare and now they are even using Metformin for non diabetics for weight loss and cancer prevention.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too am glad that you can control your diabetes with diet and exercise. That being said, it simply is something that is not possible for everyone. Taking me for instance, I have to have all 3 (diet, exercise,meds) to manage mine or there would be no management.

Reactions: jwags and Carolina

·
Registered
432 Posts
So far I've been able to control my diabetes with diet and exercise.If you chose to do it this way you got to test and stick to low carbing .

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think so much of it depends of how your pancreas works. Many type 2's have dysfunctional pancreases with lower insulin production. I find even on a low carb diet- 30 carbs a day my bgs will never be as low as I need them to be because of liver dumps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm not saying I'll never take meds. It's something that I have in my back-up down the road. I guess that's why I test.I'm just keeping an eye out for problems. I'm not as sure as some people are about their diet and exercise plan.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are, Clebo. I use diet and exercise only to control my levels. I do take meds for my heart but not for the big D. If I eventually need to take meds or go on insulin, I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'm simply happy to be alive at this point.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you are, Clebo. I use diet and exercise only to control my levels. I do take meds for my heart but not for the big D. If I eventually need to take meds or go on insulin, I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'm simply happy to be alive at this point.
I use diet alone and don't expect to ever need anything else. If I need exercise to bring BG to normal, I know that I have fallen off my personal "wagon". I like exercise for many other benefits, but NOT for blood sugar control. But, that's another discussion. I've gone into it elsewhere.

Personally. I have no doubt that if we could do this scientifically under medical supervision, a large majority of T2s (no, not everyone, but nearly) could completely control it with diet alone without limit and not "progress". That's not to deny that it might not appeal to some and they might prefer meds or even insulin to the way a diabetic needs to eat to do that.

Unfortunately, the medical community has deserted us and will have nothing to do with it, leaving us with our mostly unscientific selves trying things and drawing conclusions without the required scientific rigor required to actually draw those conclusions.

If one has even a small amount of insulin-producing capacity left and barring and extreme hormonal conditions, it is an easy problem with an easy solution - you just have to be willing to do it. I've never felt better and I'm immensely thankful for diabetes which led me to a healthier lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I'm managing on diet alone for now. I do that because 1) it's cheaper 2) I am tired of taking many medicines and 3) I like to think that there are other health benefits beyond BG in doing LCHF.

That being said I really have no idea how long I'll be able to be medication free. I really want to believe that my pancreas will continue to be able to make the little insulin it does for the next 60 years but I couldn't say for sure. The best I can do is try to improve my health, hope that things don't get worse and be mentally prepared in case they do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts