The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was tested about 3 months ago and found out that I am a boarderline diabetic. So I have cut out all sugar and other sweets.
I was drinking non alcoholic beer to cut down on the sugars from beer. Well, to my surprise, I looked at the back label and it said there was 7 grams of sugar per can. WOW !!
There is less sugar in light beer than in non alcoholic beer. I was amazed to see that.
My test was 6.6 on the scale. Very high. I am 55 years old. Hopefully my next test will go down to normal.:)

Take care, all...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You'll find that it's not just "sugar" you need to keep an eye on - it's all carbohydrate. Many people here find that the best way to control / reduce blood sugar is to reduce or eliminate starchy carbs from their diets - rice, potatoes, pasta, grain and grain products, beans. Dairy products like low-or-no fat milk and cottage cheese are very high in carbohydrate; cheese is not. Fruit can also play a role in elevating your blood sugar; berries like blackberries, strawberries and blueberries are high in fiber and may be easier to tolerate than other fruits.

The only way to determine which foods and quantities work for you is to test, test, test with your meter. To do this, do a finger stick test before a meal. Make note of all the carbs in your meal. Test your blood sugar one hour after beginning to eat - your blood sugar should be reaching it's peak for the meal at this point. Test your blood sugar two hours after you began to eat - it should be back to your baseline, or at least headed there. If you spiked more than about 50 points, try a similar meal on another occasion but reduce the serving size of the carbs and repeat the tests. If the same carb is still causing a big or prolonged spike, try a meal without it. You'll feel a little like a pincushion, but you'll be developing a database of foods that work specifically for you!

Good luck with your upcoming experiments! Let us know how you do.

Jen

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
AS Jen said

Its the carbs that raise BG ALL carbs raise BG some more and faster than others.

Mashed potatoes will raise your BG higher and faster that table sugar.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum

i hope that you visit us regularly. This is by far, THE best place for us diabetics to talk freely and openly about whats going on with us.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as i feel that there are no "dumb" questions

You can do this, you can.

-Eric

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi. I was tested about 3 months ago and found out that I am a boarderline diabetic. So I have cut out all sugar and other sweets.
I was drinking non alcoholic beer to cut down on the sugars from beer. Well, to my surprise, I looked at the back label and it said there was 7 grams of sugar per can. WOW !!
There is less sugar in light beer than in non alcoholic beer. I was amazed to see that.
My test was 6.6 on the scale. Very high. I am 55 years old. Hopefully my next test will go down to normal.:)

Take care, all...
The other guys have just about said it all. The message is to cut down on the carbs - not just the sugars. And Test, test and then test some more.

A good place to look for non technical advice is here : Blood Sugar 101

This lady is a diabetic and has been for some twelve years. Her site is well worth a browse for suggestions on how to cut the carbs.

Welcome to the forum. I know you'll find a lot of help and support here - I did. And I agree, there's no such animal as a "stupid question"! :)

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts