The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Newby here.

I've been on Victoza for a month now and I l-o-v-e it! I use it with a combination of 500 Glumetza 2x a day.

I am no expert by far, but there didn't seem to be a lot on here about Victoza so I thought I would join and share my experience.

My numbers in the morning and all day are between 86-125 which is terrific as compared to when I was on Byetta. I loved Byetta at first but I kept forgetting to take my shot in the evenings so I would end up with higher readings in the morning PLUS I have that pre-dawn syndrome thing....

The next best thing I love about Victoza is that I've lost about 15 in the last month. I have such great control over my eating right now, I just pray that it lasts.

Oh, and I was never sick on Victoza, maybe because I was already on the Byetta?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Delighted to have you join us, Tam. And we sure welcome all the new information . . . it's wonderful that Victoza is working so well for you after a seven-year struggle.

There are so many combinations of methods, meds, etc., we can adapt to our own situation - thank you for being willing to share what has been successful for you.

I hope you'll make yourself at home here and visit often. Will be good to get better acquainted.

take care,

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am not familiar with Victoza....what exactly does it do? Is it an oral drug or injected?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Jan. 26, 2010 -- The FDA has approved Victoza (liraglutide), a once-daily injection to treat type 2 diabetes in adults.

Victoza is intended to help lower blood sugar levels along with diet, exercise, and selected other diabetes medicines. It isn't recommended as the first therapy patients try if they haven't adequately controlled their diabetes with diet and exercise alone.

Victoza Approved to Treat Type 2 Diabetes

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome aboard Tam! It is wonderful that you have found a medication that really helps your control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not familiar with Victoza....what exactly does it do? Is it an oral drug or injected?
Richard is right, it is a once a day shot (tiny micro needle) but it doesn't matter what time of the day you take it nor do you have to take it before you eat, unlike Byetta. You start off on a low dose and gradually increase over the next two weeks.

The way it was explained to me is that the medication kind of "lays in wait" for you to eat, then it reacts to the food. My highest level today was 102 (after having oatmeal for breakfast) which for me was great.

After my walk this evening I had a cup of low fat cottage cheese and a 1/2 cup of (rinsed) mandarin oranges and I am totally satisfied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts