The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the August 6th 'Daily Show' with Jon Stewart, Stewart chose to make a profoundly tasteless 'joke' about diabetic blindness. While discussing the battle of Justice Sotomayor with type 1 diabetes, he noted that several Senators had praised her for the way she had dealt with this challenge. He then said that if being diabetic was going to be a new criterion for appointing Supreme Court Justices, then soon "justice would truly be blind."

I found this to be an utterly racist remark directed against a vulnerable minority. Did Mr. Stewart even stop to think for half a second before making that 'joke' that there might be some young people with type 1 diabetes watching his show whose doctors had deliberately kept from them information about their heightened risk for blindness, and that they may have heard about this first in the form of a 'joke' from Mr. Stewart?

I think in the name of solidarity among diabetics we should all write into or call the Daily Show and the networks that carry his wretched program and tell them what we think of his idea that diabetic blindness is funny!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks for calling our attention to Stewart's remark. I hope enough complaints are made that he will make an apology on his show.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! I missed that episode! I have enjoyed the daily show for years and find that I am extremely disappointed in John Stewart (and his many ignorant writers) for choosing to focus poor humor on a person's battle with a disease. Is it P.C to joke about aides, breast cancer, starving children? I am a person who has lived with diabetes for 33 years and every day I wake up I begin a challenge to survive with dignity and grace. The idea of future complications from this disease is a frightening thought to me and I work extremely hard to post-pone them for as long as I can. I will be writing to the daily show as well as the network and perhaps others who may be of influence. Can you tell me when this episode aired?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.