The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is a diabetic patient, she feels weak particularly when the climate is hot like in summer, even though she stays indoors she cant beat her weakness. Any ideas on how to remedy this and why its causing?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My mom is a diabetic patient, she feels weak particularly when the climate is hot like in summer, even though she stays indoors she cant beat her weakness. Any ideas on how to remedy this and why its causing?
She might be dehydrated. When the weather gets warm, we perspire more. She might want to increase her fluid intake. I can't think of anything else that could be causing her weakness without knowing what medications she might be taking. There are many medications that can cause weakness. Also, is your Mom type 1 or type 2? Is she on insulin and/or oral diabetes medication? Do you know if her blood sugar is under control? If you could give a few more details about her and her treatment that would be great. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, well her blood sugar is under control, she has type 2 diabetes, and she is just on her oral medication no insulin injections. You suggested fluid intake, what kind of fluids do you suggest, as pretty much any kind of fruit juices have a lot of sugar in them.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Sripad, and welcome. Has your mother discussed any of this with her doctor? Diabetes is a progressive illness, even when we have our sugars in tight control, and it may be that her numbers have crept up slightly and her meds need to be reassessed.

As for getting enough fluids, she can drink anything and everything that isn't loaded with natural or added sugar. Plain water is a good place to start. Coffee, tea, diet drinks. Other beverages like almond milk can be used to make delicious drinks too, and sweeteners can be used if she has a sweet tooth. Cow's milk is likely not a good choice, since it's loaded with lactose.

Sugar-free frozen treats might be an option since the summer heat is troublesome for her. There are low-carb frozen fudge bars, etc. if this is anything she would enjoy. I've gotten hooked on Breyers Carbsmart products, if you need a place to start, and these would still be a good source of fluid.

Keep us posted on how she's doing, and thank you for joining us on her behalf!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
thanks for the reply, well her blood sugar is under control, she has type 2 diabetes, and she is just on her oral medication no insulin injections. You suggested fluid intake, what kind of fluids do you suggest, as pretty much any kind of fruit juices have a lot of sugar in them.
There are 3 products that I have found that contain some added potassium which can help with dehydration. Glaceau Smart Water which is electrolyte enhanced water, I believe there are less than 10 carbs per 8 oz. Propel Fitness Water which has 2 carbs and 10 calories per 8 oz. and Gatorade, which has potassium and it does have more carbs 14 per 8 oz. You can always add some Splenda to these products providing that your Mom doesn't get a spike because Splenda contains maltodextrin. Or add some Sweet'n Low or Truvia. Propel Fitness Water comes in different flavors and is great when kept chilled. I think you would be happy with any of these. As Shanny has suggested, make sure that your Mom checks in with her doctor to make sure she is OK. If she feels weak, the doctor might want to check out why she is feeling this way. Summer time is a wonderful time of the year, but the heat can affect people in different ways. I limit my time out in the sun and drink extra water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts