The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
A few days ago a friend of mine told me about some diabetic cakes he found for purchase on the internet that tasted exactly like full sugar cakes. Since aspartame and splenda get really old really fast (aftertaste --ewww), I was wondering whether or not I should give them a try. The website is called Gergana's Grand Desserts --elegantly delicious diabetic delights. My friend says they're really good, even though they are expensive. Has anybody tried these cakes? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
A few days ago a friend of mine told me about some diabetic cakes he found for purchase on the internet that tasted exactly like full sugar cakes. Since aspartame and splenda get really old really fast (aftertaste --ewww), I was wondering whether or not I should give them a try. The website is called Gergana's Grand Desserts --elegantly delicious diabetic delights. My friend says they're really good, even though they are expensive. Has anybody tried these cakes? Thoughts?

I have never tried them, so I cant say for sure. They are very expensive and they quote "effective carbs" whatever that means. I would like to know the total carb count, but they don't list it. If it has a lot of other carbs in it that are not digested, I would sure like to know what happens to them. Personally, I dont trust anything that doesnt tell me exatly whats in it..but thats just me. Maybe someone else has tried them.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Doesn't hurt to try and see how it affects your bs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doesn't hurt to try and see how it affects your bs.
I’ve actually ordered one of these things! My chocolate cake came with a nutrition label so I know slightly more about it. Their sweetener is FDA approved which is always a good thing. They don’t give us much more information about it though --probably they don’t want someone to steal their recipe! Don’t know what happens to the rest of the carbs, but since the only ones that are absorbed into the body are the effective carbs, I don’t think the uneffective ones matter as much haha.

gfahs, I would recommend giving these a try. Sure they’re pricey, but in my opinion the taste was worth it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I’ve actually ordered one of these things! My chocolate cake came with a nutrition label so I know slightly more about it. Their sweetener is FDA approved which is always a good thing. They don’t give us much more information about it though --probably they don’t want someone to steal their recipe! Don’t know what happens to the rest of the carbs, but since the only ones that are absorbed into the body are the effective carbs, I don’t think the uneffective ones matter as much haha.

gfahs, I would recommend giving these a try. Sure they’re pricey, but in my opinion the taste was worth it.
Did they list the carb count so you know how to dose for it? And were there any digestive issues with them? I know sometimes "sugar free" things can cause some GI upset.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Hey Ersloan91! How did it affect your bs, did you have a spike? I just may try these since I have always loved cakes and pastries in general, and I still have those cravings!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Diabetic Foods

I am not against any food that can help a diabetic enjoy foods and add variety to their diet. My personal experience with "diabetic food" is not very good. I have tried sodas, candy, snacks bars and on and on, only to be disappointed. The best foods are those that are low in carbs and have alot of nutritional value. I wish I had saved my money and didn't buy many of the products that I have. So many so called diabetic food still has added fillers that drive up the carb value.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was surprised at the price. I wish they were cheaper. I kind of want to find a cake for my birthday. :p I've been playing around with the 'diabetic' candy and other things. For me, I usually don't spike as long as I don't eat it very fast. Like have a candy bar over the space of an hour rather than just eating it all at once. Maybe it works the same with these cakes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cut my cake according to the instructions that came with it ( into 16 pieces), and had one piece at a time. I had no issues. Sure the pieces are small that way, but I felt great afterwards and the cake was really rich so I wouldn't have been able to eat much more. I also read on their web site that the sweetener has a much lower glycemic index. Everyone's diabetes is different, and I'm sure you know best what your situation is, and how to control it. This worked great for me though, and unlike those other desserts I've tried, these did actually taste really good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is the common myth that if you suffer from diabetes, you have to eat special food that is often very expensive. In reality the diet works for the best if the food consists of proteins, carbohydrates and fats, but in right combination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts