The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my loving wife brought home some "diabetic" cookbooks from the library. Four of them in total...

I just spent a while pouring through them and can't believe anybody would consider 99% of the recipes healthy for a diabetic diet...

Baked goods calling for packed brown sugar, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, corn syrup and more... (some even called for store-bought packaged pie crusts... I mean, really??)

Suppers using rice, baked potatoes, pasta...

Smoothies that would put me in the hospital, I think...

And EVERY recipe was calling for low-fat this, fat-free that... But loading you up on carbs that would send glucose levels to the stratosphere.

It's nuts.

So... does ANYONE offer a diabetic cookbook for people who actually WANT to control their blood sugars?

If not... why not? Wouldn't people ACTUALLY buy something like that? I know I would...

·
Registered
299 Posts
The good cookbooks for us are the Low Carb ones - along the lines of Atkins. Same thing when you search the internet for recipes - search Low Carb.
Good thing your wife got them from the library instead of buying them.. just take 'em back, they're worthless. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I agree with Wink, those cookbooks are probably not very good. You have seen for yourself that there are many high sugar, high carb foods in diabetes recipes. Search the net and you will find all that you want on how to eat low carb and you can come up with your own food plan. Spend a couple hours at the grocery store and just read labels. You will soon realize that low carb is best. I am able to have more carbs since I take insulin at mealtimes, but I still watch and limit my carbs. I have several diabetic cook books that I got free and I don't know where they are.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you haven't figured this out by now, most cookbooks that have the word diabetic in them are not even good for TP with the slick and glossy pages. They are written by non diabetics to separate the newly diagnosed from their money. I say shame on them.

Low carb cookbooks are good, but I have found that the tried and true cookbooks that have been around and have the nutritional information are well worth the time. Unless you have a large family, be careful of recipes for six or more.

I have found that if I use a recipe for less than 5, I can often have 8 or more meals depending on the number of carbs.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
YEP they are sponsored crazy! Sad, isn't it?

I agree w/ Wink -- low-carb cookbooks are better. Dana Carpender is one I recommend highly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts