The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealing with diabetes might not be as simple. But after learning how to control and regulate your diet, it could be the start of a meaningful and healthy treatment.

Keep in mind that diabetes is closely associated with heart disease, because there is a very high probability that a person with diabetes have high blood pressure and high cholesterol as well, so when choosing a diet, better start with low-fat.

The sudden changes that will occur in your life might be a bit of a shock but do not fret because having diabetes doesn’t mean giving up your old diet. You can still have a bit of sugar, fat and carbohydrates but should be taken in with moderation.

I will list down below some basic tips on how to jumpstart your new healthy diet:

• Eat less fat and foods that are high in cholesterol (example: choosing olive oil over any other oil products)
  • Go low-fat on dairy products
  • Increase intake of fruits, vegetables and foods that are high in fiber
  • Low-fat cooking (such as roasting and grilling)
  • Lessen salt intake
  • Stick to your diet and be prepared! Cheating on your plan does not fool anyone but yourself.

The good thing about this diet is that your family and friends can do it too. This does not only help you with your treatment, but this can also be a way to prevent your loved ones from having diabetes or heart disease. So start encouraging them to get on the healthy habit.

Remember that the changes you’re going through may affect how fast you can adjust. But with proper motivation and practice, keeping your blood sugar regulated through a healthy diet can be a start of a happy, new and healthy you!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Jona: :)

Good to see you. I hope that you are Well. Thank you for the diet guide. True for sure. That is how we need to continue controling our sugar levels along with exercise. Sweet photo. Welcome! :wave:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Jona: :)

Good to see you. I hope that you are Well. Thank you for the diet guide. True for sure. That is how we need to continue controling our sugar levels along with exercise. Sweet photo. Welcome! :wave:
Thanks you for the warm welcome! I hope you are all well too.
Hopefully, I will be posting more of these in time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Jona... Thanks for your wonderful diet factors... I know that feeling of "cheating" yourself.. I do it all the time and still have to slap my own hands ;);););)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello-I have five children, 10, 8, 5-year old twins and almost 3-year-old. My 5-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. This past Tuesday was her first day back at school--very scary. She never felt sick because I diagnosed it so early. She wet her bed once and got up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I had a childhood friend who was diagnosed in 5th grade so I remembered all the signs and my family is all in the medical field. We caught it so early that she never felt sick. She has no idea what a "low" feels like which scares me. I don't feel confident that she'll go to a teacher when she starts to feel dizzy, shaky or sweaty. This first week back I went to all her recesses, lunch and gym classes. There are so many people who keep saying they know someone who has it and that it will all become second nature and be so easy in time, but I keep hearing that from people who don't have a diabetic child. I also think this would be a very different experience if I only had one child. But juggling all the other kids activities and carb counting all her meals has been a challenge, especially since the others can have their snacks at a moments notice while she has to wait to have her blood sugar checked. My husband is gone Monday-Thursday for work, so the responsibility really falls on me most of the time. I think my tears are not only for her health but for the pressure I feel in having to do most of the work for so many years until she's more independent.

What I'm really writing about is to find out if anyone here is from the Philippines. We had already planned a 5-week trip to visit family there and had thought it was going to be a fun-filled, carefree 5 weeks of no scheduled kids activities and eating out at great restaurants. Now I feel like it's going to be a logistical nightmare because I won't know well enough how to count carbs without a guide in hand. Does anyone know if there is guide book to restaurants in the Philippines? I hate to make her eat McDonalds and Pizza Hut for 5 weeks! I've emailed the Diabetes Foundation there and some other local agencies. I just thought I might find a quicker answer from someone who lives there. I'd appreciate any help in carb counting typical meals there. Thanks for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts