The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nutrition experts say that there is no one diet for diabetes, but people with diabetes should follow the nutrition guidelines in the Food Pyramid, while paying special attention to carbohydrate intake.

People with diabetes should also eat about the same amount of food at the same time each day to keep blood sugar levels stable.

Click Here to Read More>>

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have read several diabetics say the food pyramid is not the best way to have good control for diabetes. A much better way is to follow the glycemic index. Food with a high glycemic number raise the blood sugar high, very fast. Foods with a low glycemic number raise the blood sugar much less and more slowly. Here is a link:

The Glycemic Index

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I know of some type 2's who even "cut off the bottom of the pyramid!" Radical? Yes, but some who had to use medicines got off them.

I eat very little grain or starch, myself. It would be harder to do coming from an Asian culture -- especially if rice is fundamental to all meals -- but I used to eat that way, until one year ago, myself.

I do not think that is the only way to control blood sugar, too. But if you can lessen your carb intake, to some extent, you might find it helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts