The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer of this year, two tornadoes hit near my area (they destroyed a whole bunch of houses). Many people were without power for a few days, including several relatives of mine. I was wondering, since granola bars are very sugary, what type of food should I store in case of an emergency?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Canned foods (be sure to have a can opener): meats, low-carb veggies (like green beans), olives, unsweetened coconut milk (not to everyone's taste), olive oil for fat
Cool. I'm going to live off of canned, sliced, black olives during the zombie apocalypse.
:devil:

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Look at the nutritional label on the jar, whatever has the least carbs, if tied on carbs, the one with the least sugars. Look at the the ingredients list below the nutritional table to see what else might be in it. I try to ween out those with other ingredients, i.e. oil not from peanuts. I use Smucker's Natural.

It pays to read the ingredients on many foods, not everything is in it, but I try to watch out for certain things, such as high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.

·
Registered
632 Posts
During the summer of this year, two tornadoes hit near my area (they destroyed a whole bunch of houses). Many people were without power for a few days, including several relatives of mine. I was wondering, since granola bars are very sugary, what type of food should I store in case of an emergency?
I lived my teenage years just near there in Crystal Beach. I remember calling my Dad when I heard of the tornadoes in the Gatineau and Dunrobin areas.

Scary times - my biggest challenge living on an Island are the often strong winds we get where everything shuts down for a couple of days. We always have several bags of different kinds of nuts available when bad weather hits. Dark chocolate almonds are one of my favorites :-O

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Canned meats are always a good option as is Tuna, either canned or the new foil/plastic packages that do not have to be in the fridge. I keep fried pork rinds around to put the canned meats on. Plus the 'crunch' of the rinds is something we all need once and a while....As always, before buying anything, check the label for carb count. Food manufactures are terrible about slipping a little sugar into foods....crazy they are!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts