The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am Claudio and I've been diabetic for 27 years. I use insulin:
Lantus at bedtime and Lispro three times a day, before meals. I also test my blood glucose 4 to 5 times a day with a One Touch Ultrasmart.
My last HbA1c (very recent, indeed: Sep 19, 2011) was 6.2%, so I was
happy about it. I think I know a little bit about Diabetes, but I expect/hope to find more information in this forum. After all, the learning is never finished...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Welcome

Hi Claudio,

Welcome to the forum. This is a loads of information here, but being a veteran with D, I'm sure you can teach a lot to us newbies !

Would really like to know more about you .....
How have you managed your diabetes over the last 3 decades ? What kind of food do you eat ?

We also have several very experienced type 1s here. (with more than 4 decades of experience). They should be coming in a while...

Anyways, welcome to the forum. It's great to have you here !

Tony

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Congratulation on your recent A1C. You have very good numbers. You're right about the learning, there is always something new. How do you like the Ultrasmart meter?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome, Claudio. You seem to be doing very well, congratulations! I have been type 1 for 66 years, and am very healthy. With good control, we can have long, healthy lives.

Ask all the questions you want, there are many type 1's here.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Thanks also for the compliments about my numbers. However, as I write more about me below, you will see that
everything is not really wonderful and perfect...

0f course I've experienced many changes in treatment during those years. I think maybe I've been doing approximately the same thing during the last ten years. I mean in 2000 I was already using Lispro (Humalog from Lilly, ultra-rapid insulin) and in that year I started with Glargin (Lantus, ultra-slow insulin). The combination gave me greater flexibility and I think I lowered my HbA1c by circa 0.5%.

I started using the Ultrasmart in 2007. Before I had the Accu-check Advantage. I like those meters with lots of statistics: different kinds of averages, percentages of results in certain ranges etc. I have small (paper!) notebooks where I write my results and statistics. I started that, I think, around 1989 and I am now in the 50th notebook. I keep them all. I write what I think is relevant, like exercise or food intake. (I do not use certain features in the Ultrasmart, only the statistics; I prefer paper.) Browsing the statistics in the notebooks, I feel either more confident I am doing the right thing or worried I am not doing well enough and then I have to change. By the way, a good thing about the Ultrasmart is that the strips are cheaper than I was used to with the other meters.

It is a matter of fact that I was used to having a HbA1c lower than 6.5%.
However in the last two or three years I have the feeling that it is getting more
difficult to control the diabetes and the results are slowly going up to 6.7, 6.8.
It appears that my C-peptide (the test that tells you whether you still produces some insulin) is going to zero, so that could be the reason. In fact, I am going to see my endocrinologist next week and ask him about this. Anyway the last few months I forced I bit and got 6.2% but at the expense of having quite a lot of hypoglicemias. I mean really too many, at the point of really making it difficult to work. So that's not the solution.

I am a little bit worried because my eye doctor found some abnormalities in the back of my eye, despite what, I suppose, has been a good control of my diabetes. It is still not bad, he says, but I would like to take action now about improving more my control. I hope talking to you guys makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Claudio - welcome to the forum.

Is there a chance that after all these years that you could have developed some insulin resistance? There are a number of T1s on here who do have some insulin resistance and also take Metformin to help with that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Claudio. It's good to have you join us - we can always use more wisdom, knowledge & experience around here . . . make yourself at home! We'll be picking your brain too! ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I had some mild retinopathy in my eyes several years ago. My A1c was very good, but complications can still develop if there are a lot of highs and lows. trauma to the body caused by a roller coaster control can produce these types of complications. I tightened my control and started having fewer highs and lows. Then the signs of retinopathy disappeared, and there have been no symptoms for 4 years now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts