The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is type 2 diabetic, diet-controlled. I'm not diabetic but I try to stick to his restrictions too.
He recently got a factory job where he will be working 12 hour shifts overnight. He starts this Sunday - three days from now. It's been a long time since he worked that long!
I have NO idea what to pack him for lunch.
He tries to stay away from carbs completely except for veggies (so I can't do sandwiches or grains), we're vegetarian (so no meats, but eggs and dairy is okay), he's trying to lose another 70 pounds (so nothing high in fat or calories), and since it's overnight and he has blood pressure issues we can't just use caffeine to give him energy. And obviously nothing with sugar. (though he's putting sugared candy in his locker for emergencies)
Obviously packing salads and veggies would be okay but I think that would get boring after a while, and I'm not sure it would be sufficient energy to get through a 12 hour shift.
While we're at home, he usually has a protein shake for breakfast, and soup, salad, or stir-fry veggies for lunch and dinner.

What can I make/buy for him (preferably non-perishable, I'm not sure if they have a fridge) that follows these restrictions??
I've tried to find meal suggestions online but they usually include bread or rice or pasta or meat. I need ideas!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I could live on deviled eggs, but something tells me those would get old in a hurry if he had to eat 'em for lunch EVERY night! :(

Lemme think about this for awhile . . . there are great things to do with wraps, as long as you can find a low-carb high-fiber wrap that doesn't spike him. I use the Olé Xtreme Wellness ones from Krogers, but there are many others available which he could test out to make sure they agree with his meter.

How is he with avocados? I could live on avocados too - lol! And they're wonderfully high-fiber/low-carb, so despite being often classified as fats, they are a godsend for diabetics. I eat gallons of homemade guacamole with these cheese crisps - in fact, if cheeses are okay, you could make these crisps using a whole slice of cheese, and they'd be the right size/shape to stand in for bread/buns in a sandwich. (they aren't inhibiting my weight loss either - I'm still losing - because the fats render out when you bake the cheese slices. You need to drain them on paper towels & then they're as crisp, low-fat, and portable as can be.)

Nuts, olives, etc., are great portable snacks . . . prowl through our Recipes board & see if there is anything inspiring that you could convert to vegetarian. I know many people use tofu & TVP, and you'd know much more about it than I.

Now I've found a coupla recipes of Rose Elliot's, and you might take a look & see if anything strikes you:

Cheese & Tomato Muffins
Asparagus Quiche

If you have an insulated cooler to pack lunch in, a fridge wouldn't be needed . . . the little Igloo Playmate coolers work really well. The nice thing about these is the lid swings aside but doesn't come off completely to get mislaid. But any small cooler makes a terrific lunch "pail".

It's been years (decades!) since I packed a lunch for anything, but you really tripped my trigger here! lol! Be sure to keep us posted how he's doing & any good ideas you come up with for the lunches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tuna wraps with low carb wraps, check costco, little lettuce, pickel, red onion. and a 1/2 cup of posk and beans. @40 carbs, Works also with chicken, beef strips. etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So he's not getting any grains whatsoever? That's a tough one for lunches, because he could use at least a little whole wheat starch for energy. As long as it's whole grain and maybe one slice of bread or one tortilla, could he eat that and stuff it with veggies? It's low fat and won't jack up BG as worse as white products.

Peanut butter is definitely going to be your friend for energy. I have it every day. You can buy Kraft Light which is lower in sugar, fat and calories, or natural peanut butter that you have to stir. That can go on vegetables I suppose.

Eggs and TVP are good, but I'd choose your TVP carefully as some varieties can be very high in fat and salt. Eggs I would also do whites only, to avoid aggravating cholesterol.

It's really tough for me to suggest something off the bat, because if you want weight loss, low fat, carbs, sugar and calories, the only safest stuff is rabbit food, and it doesn't provide a lot of the variety you want.

I'd highly suggest allowing for some healthy whole grains, like bread, brown or basmati rice. In limited daily portions it won't contribute to weight gain (especially since he'll burn it off through that long shift), has a slow rise, and allows you to think outside protein and vegetables. A 12 hour shift requires lots of energy, and whole grains are a healthy source of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts