The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a 20 year old male and I have had diabetes for about 10 years. Over the last 3 years my diabeties has been out of control!! A few moths ago I started to have worsening signs of nurapathy that's when I finally decided to clean up my diet and get this under control! When the nurapathy started i had numbness in my toes then about a year later everything got worse:( my entire foot and legs started to go numb then my hands started to go numb then I started to have a bit of pain like little electrical shocks and Just random things with my eye sight and stomach issues! So I went to a nurologyst and he said I had beginning signs of nurapathy and he told me that if I get my number under control it should clear up a bit! So I have been working closely with my Endo doctor trying to get my numbers down! My numbers have been slowly getting better and better! But the biggest help has been this Neuromuscular chiropractor that I have been seeing! He has me do a lot of exercises to stimulate the nerves and also to improve my balance! My feet are no longer numb or in pain as much but if my numbers rise for more than a few hours I will start to feel the symptoms again! To me this is incredible! And im hoping for even more improvement! However I am having some issues with urination where I am having spasms in that particular area I am also having some leakage and that really freaks Me out! I saw a urology doctor and he said it is probably because of my diabetes or possibly anxiety. He as well said to get my numbers under tight control which I am working on now! He also put me on a medication called mibertwick sorry if I misspelled. It is a med to calm the bladder and it seems to help a little bit, but not a ton. Have any of you had these issues and If so how do you deal with them? Sometimes it just gets so annoying! I look forward to any questions and answers you guys might have!
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Me personally, I have not had issues with neuropathy. I think your doctors are all right when they said to get your BG numbers down. Damage can occur any time your BG goes over 140 mg/dL. There have been members that did have issues that mentioned having to get and stay below 120 helped them. I also remember some mentioned that it did take some time in some cases, wasn't overnight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello thanks for the responce! And yes rn I'm just trying to keep my numbers under 180! I would not feel comfortable with my numbers under 120 24/7 especially because I can no longer feel my lows. I'm a type 1 diabetic btw!

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book, "Diabetes Solution"? He has a chapter in it about his law of small numbers. I believe this section is included in what is available to read OnLine. It recommends a low carb diet for type 1s, his thoughts are that this minimizes the amount of insulin needed, and reduces the risks of miscalculating insulin needed to account for the number of carbs eaten or timing issues, thus lowering the number or severity of hypo events. He is a Type 1 diabetic too, and recommends this to all his patients.

I think the known damaging effects of high BG doesn't differentiate by what type diabetic we are. Here is a reference to some studies that show what is already known about the damage it can do. The link is to a part of the Blood Sugar 101 website, ironically?? subtitled What they don't tell you about diabetes.

Hope you get some beneficial information from both Dr. Bernstein's and the Blood Sugar 101 websites.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Hi Dane

Welcome to Diabetes Forum. It is good that you are taking control of your diabetes. Hopefully when you get your BG level down you'll also have lessening of the bladder issues.

Here is a link to Dr. Bernstein's website and the online book sections. The Laws of Small Numbers is Chapter 7.
Diabetes Solution

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the Info! I will look into it! I'm currently on a 50 carb a day diet but I think stress also plays a roll in my blood sugars! Im also off all grains gluten and dairy products! So I am working on it!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Thank you for the Info! I will look into it! I'm currently on a 50 carb a day diet but I think stress also plays a roll in my blood sugars! Im also off all grains gluten and dairy products! So I am working on it!
I don't use insulin, so can't comment specifically, but no grains and 50g carbs per day, for a T1, looks on the surface that you should be having lower BG levels. Are you on basal/bolus or a combo insulin?

There are a couple other books that members here who use insulin have highly recommended.

Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

Using Insulin by John Walsh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I Have been on a insulin pump for about 9 years! But part of the problem is that My numbers Have been out of control for so long so everything is off! I'm working with my doctor to get everything set up correctly but it takes some time! Thank you for the books I will look into those as well! I'm kinda like relearning everything so thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I didn't realize you are on the pump. John Walsh also has a book called Pumping Insulin

It may fill in some gaps in your knowledge and give you some tips.

I'm sure that it does take some time to re-regulate everything. I admire the dedication and care it takes to manage T1. I wish you the best as you go down that road again. I'm sure you will be successful. We're here to give you support and encouragement when you need it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I had bladder spasms after an overfilled bladder after surgery. I had periodic problems for just over a year. Apparently, it must take a long time to heal. So, if the problem continues for awhile, don't freak. At the time, I had very good control, so this may simply be a physiological issue. The nurse told me it's common for pregnant women to get this problem as well, so you are in good company!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Dane. You are doing the right things. I can tell you this from my own personal experience. I was uncontrolled for about 10 years (my best guess anyway) and developed several complications including both peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. They were quite severe by the time I was diagnosed.

Really, the only thing that you can do is to control your blood sugar as close to normal as you can do safely. Whatever that looks like for you is where you need to be.

I was in a panic and knew nothing about any of this other than I had to get my blood sugar closer to normal. I worked as hard and quickly as I could (the quick part turned out to be a mistake however) and brought my numbers as close to normal as I could. In doing this I have been able to reverse all of my symptoms significantly. The pain is 99.7% gone and the numbness is about 10% of what it has been in the past.

This all took quite a long time. It is a very slow process and it does not follow a steady trajectory. It was a constant two steps forward and one step back process. Don't give up it just takes time. It took me about three years to get even close to normal. I am still not there. I may never be. Just remember it is a long game and the improvements can be microscopic, but they will happen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The good thing is that you are working on this before it gets out of control. I myself waited too long and the healing process was excruciating to say the least. But at least there is a path to healing.

The doctors are absolutely right. The only thing that you can really do to stop this and even reverse it is to keep your blood sugar as close to healthy normal as you can safely do. And I do mean as close as possible. It took me quite some time to get to this point.

Like you, I was very leery of trying to maintain anything under about 120. Today I am quite comfortable running between 80 and 100, which I do the majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still have numbers that get up over 140 or even 150. But my target now is always 100 or less.

Doing this has taken me from a place where I could not drum my fingers on the table or clap my hands. I could not tie my shoes and could barely dress myself. I could not stand for more than a few minutes at a time. None of this is true today and I have no real pain any longer due to my neuropathy. I can tie my shoes, drum my fingers, clap my hands, walk up and down hills and stand on my own for prolonged periods without becoming faint or unstable.

The only other thing that I really did was to take the supplement R-Alpha Lipoic Acid. I highly recommend that you take a close look at the supplement. It is standard procedure for diabetics in Europe. All of my doctors approved in me taking it. It is something that you already have in your system. Study it up and talk to your doctor that. It me immensely.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The good thing is that you are working on this before it gets out of control. I myself waited too long and the healing process was excruciating to say the least. But at least there is a path to healing.

The doctors are absolutely right. The only thing that you can really do to stop this and even reverse it is to keep your blood sugar as close to healthy normal as you can safely do. And I do mean as close as possible. It took me quite some time to get to this point.

Like you, I was very leery of trying to maintain anything under about 120. Today I am quite comfortable running between 80 and 100, which I do the majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still have numbers that get up over 140 or even 150. But my target now is always 100 or less.

Doing this has taken me from a place where I could not drum my fingers on the table or clap my hands. I could not tie my shoes and could barely dress myself. I could not stand for more than a few minutes at a time. None of this is true today and I have no real pain any longer due to my neuropathy. I can tie my shoes, drum my fingers, clap my hands, walk up and down hills and stand on my own for prolonged periods without becoming faint or unstable.

The only other thing that I really did was to take the supplement R-Alpha Lipoic Acid. I highly recommend that you take a close look at the supplement. It is standard procedure for diabetics in Europe. All of my doctors approved in me taking it. It is something that you already have in your system. Study it up and talk to your doctor that. It me immensely.
Thank you for this info. I live in Norway and I have not been given this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are quite welcome. I am pretty passionate about sharing this stuff with people. It was so hopeless when I started. I got very little encouragement from any of my doctors. And yet, I find out that I am far from unique.

There is just so much that is variable with this disease for each person and most doctors don't think we will or even are capable of taking proper care of ourselves. I kind of got angry about all and used it to create momentum for myself.

On a completely different note; I am of Scotch and Irish (and therefore some English as well) heritage. But my wife is of Norwegian heritage. Her father is first-generation in America. His last name is Skredsvig. Her cousin actually operates a gallery of Christian Skredsvig['s art on the Skredsvig farm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts