The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this weekend was pretty awful, diabetes wise. I went to visit my sister for Family Weekend in Shawnee. It started off really great when GF came up behind me while I was giving sister a hug and surprised me. I was not expecting to see her there. As you guys know, she's in Dallas right now so it was nice to see her.

The problems started on Friday after dinner. I looked in my bag and I obviously left my meter at home or work on Friday. I emptied my bag out and searched all over the vehicle we drove. It was nowhere to be found. This was so frustrating. I have had this thing for over a year and a half and I forget the meter on an out of town trip.

I went with my sister and GF back to campus to drop them off and after I arrived back at the hotel I prepared to take my Lantus. I had left my insulin in my sister's car when we driving back to campus. Talk about total failure.

What really sucked happened when we got back on Saturday. I looked all over my house, my office on Sunday, emptied my car and couldn't find the meter anywhere. I checked all of those places again and finally emptied my bag again. It was hiding in some far away corner of my bag and I felt like a total moron.

If there ever was a diafail weekend, this was it for me. I've never been so careless or brainless.

I guess it is time for me to move on and learn from this experience. Right after my 21 lashes.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I was looking for the nails trying to fix something when I then lost my hammer. After looking for it for 15 minutes I couldn't figure out how I could lose the hammer I had it in my hand just a few minutes ago. While pushing a box out of the way I noticed the hammer was in my hand, eeeeeeeeeeee that was creepy.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh we have all had those "senior" moments. Actually though, the one about the cat was H I L A R I O U S! I'm still LOLing at work...people walking past my window must think I'm nuts right now! How funny that the cat was wedged between the bedframe and covers....hahahaha! I like when I forget to put a new bottle of test strips in my meter case and have to test to see how much insulin to take...now THAT sucks big time!

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Foxi, we have lost cats on more than one occasion, only to find them hidden in a dresser drawer somewhere. I don't know how many reading glasses I have lost. I now buy the super cheap ones and leave them in every room. Yesterday I decided it was clean up day. I was emptying drawers and found all sorts of things. I was going through my old cookbooks to see which ones I was going to give away and as I was flipping through the pages I found an old recipe on an index card. I had been looking for that recipe card for the past 20 years and couldn't find anything similar to it in any cookbook. See it pays to clean.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Foxi, we have lost cats on more than one occasion, only to find them hidden in a dresser drawer somewhere. I don't know how many reading glasses I have lost. I now buy the super cheap ones and leave them in every room. Yesterday I decided it was clean up day. I was emptying drawers and found all sorts of things. I was going through my old cookbooks to see which ones I was going to give away and as I was flipping through the pages I found an old recipe on an index card. I had been looking for that recipe card for the past 20 years and couldn't find anything similar to it in any cookbook. See it pays to clean.
Oh god - don't tell me that! :eek:

And cats?! How can a 15# cat hide himself so WELL?! This is one bratty cat, and I think he peeks out from his hiding place & snickers at us turning the house upsidedown looking for him!

In fact, Chuck caught him last night pawing at one of the base cupboard doors, & pretty soon he managed to get it open & slip inside. So in a few minutes Chuck got up to go see, and that dang cat was clear up on a half-shelf in the back of that cupboard . . . if somebody hadn't seen him go in there, we'd never have found him!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Joshua - you definitely are not alone as you can see by the responses to your post. Several years ago my husband and I went on a long trip to visit his sister in another state. About half way through the long drive I could not find my insulin in my purse. When we got to our motel I thought I had turned everything I owned inside out and upside down looking for the insulin. Nope...could not find it. The next morning we left early for his sister's house and by then my BG was 340. I was frantic. Kept telling myself "we will get to her house, find a local doctor and plead my case for a prescription of insulin".

We got to her house and while unpacking the car my hubby found my FRIO pack (with the insulin still nice and cool) in the corner of the trunk of the car. It had fallen out of my knitting bag and had gone un-noticed by myself in my earlier frantic search for my stuff. Now......I can no longer give him grief for doing dumb stuff. I surely won the prize for dumb tricks that trip.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh god - don't tell me that! :eek:

And cats?! How can a 15# cat hide himself so WELL?! This is one bratty cat, and I think he peeks out from his hiding place & snickers at us turning the house upsidedown looking for him!

In fact, Chuck caught him last night pawing at one of the base cupboard doors, & pretty soon he managed to get it open & slip inside. So in a few minutes Chuck got up to go see, and that dang cat was clear up on a half-shelf in the back of that cupboard . . . if somebody hadn't seen him go in there, we'd never have found him!
Shanny,

I had a friend who once owned a cat that managed to climb onto the kitchen counter, from the counter to the top of the refrigerator, from the fridge she stood up and pawed the blocks on the hanging ceiling and somehow or other got into the ceiling area. Then the cat must have taken a nap. My friend spent hours looking for her, calling her - no cat. Finally her husband noticed the ceiling tile askew and got a ladder out. Voila!!! there was the cat sitting calmly waiting to be rescued.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yet another cat tale, I lost my cat for 3 days was convinced that he had been bitten by a snake (we have 2 types of very poisonous snakes on our property) we had searched everywhere when something made me check our caravan at the back of the house even though I hadn't been in there, And as soon as I opened the door he came strolling out, still don't know how he got in there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
The glasses tales made me remember the many times I couldn't find mine, and all the time they were on my head. Once knew a couple who kept the gorgeous punch bowl on the dining room table filled with their glasses, both his and hers. When they were found, that's where they put them when found!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Mine are supposed to ride around on my head too, but they still get away from me! I have many pair, but they're different strengths, so not handily interchangeable.

And the thing that irks me the most is forgetting them when we leave the house - then I'm stymied when reading a menu or writing a check . . . I guess I need to get a good pair to keep in the car, but I hate like heck to buy even MORE of 'em!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have one to share. At my Dad's wedding 2 years ago we were setting up for the reception and had left to go get the flowers. Upon returning I could not find that key any where. I knew I had put it in my right front pocket. Stressful you bet. After searching for it in my car, my jeans, just about everywhere including the ground I figured I had left it at the forist so back I go. Mind you this is 2 hrs prior to wedding. Well it was not there ether, so call a fried who I know has a key also and rive out there to get the key.

Guess what, while changing for the wedding, in my right front pocket was the key. It had worked it's way into a "hidden" spot in my pocket. So after all. The stress and yelling I was very red faced when I had to confess to Dad where I found the key.

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol love the stories...a friend was renovating their house and the cat disappeared...they could hear it but not find it...eventually they worked out it had followed the builder up into the ceiling and they BUILT the poor thing in...hapy ending though...luckily the cat was loud and got found

1 - 17 of 17 Posts