The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank god for this forum... I've read a few entries and I already feel better knowing that so many people are battling the disease, and sharing info. I'm 34 with a 12 yr old son, so I'm trying to live! Any one know any good diabetic cookbooks? I prefer soul food, but I'm open to allllll kinds of food...

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You have to be careful with anything that says it's a 'diabetic' cookbook, most of them aren't. A good thing to look for is 'low-carb' cookbooks.

A great place to start is here in the forum - plenty of great tried-'n-true recipes!

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: from me!

And ditto to what moon said. Most 'diabetic' cookbooks are based on high-fiber/low-fat bad science.

Look for low-carb recipes, there's great ones here, and lots on the internet.

G

·
welcome :) what type of diabetes did you get diagnosed with? Are you just doing diet & exercise to manage, or meds too? You'll find this a great place for support and info. As others have already said, there is a 'recipe' section in this forum where members contribute what they've already tried. There's a few of us here in our 30's. I was diagnosed as a 25yo back in 1998... I remember the feeling when first diagnosed... so realise you'd be going through a rollercoaster of emotions right now. Life is a journey, diabetes included. The best thing is to keep up a positive attitude no matter what. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad You Found Us!

:welcome: to the forum. I'm glad you're here, and blessed to see that you like what you've already seen. This place, its members, and their posts have the gift of showing diabetics that they are not the only one with a certain symptom, or alone in their fight of the horrific disease.

Be sure to check out all the topics, and if you have a question that needs an answer, post away, and expect solid advice.

Again, glad to have you, ENJOY!

Pastor Paul :amen:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I made the mistake of buying diabetic cookbooks which are now collecting dust. You would be better to buy some low carb cookbooks. Dana Carpendar has the best ones. You can find them on Amazon. Most recipes are under 10 carbs a serving, usually a lot less. Also check in our recipe formum and other online sites like Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home Glad you found us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys, and thanks for all the feed back! I left my phone home yesterday, which I never ever ever do! I am type 2 diabetic, I'm beginning an exercise regimen, I've stopped drinking, and smoking, and I cook, so I changed my eating habits dramatically. I actually bought a diabetic cookbook, but thanks for trying to save me lol. I'm going to look for low carb recipes. You guys are great.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would also try googling Low Carb Soul food. There are hundreds of online low carb and gluten free websites that have fantasic recipes that keep bg inline.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thank god for this forum... I've read a few entries and I already feel better knowing that so many people are battling the disease, and sharing info. I'm 34 with a 12 yr old son, so I'm trying to live! Any one know any good diabetic cookbooks? I prefer soul food, but I'm open to allllll kinds of food...
Hello and :welcome: to the forum! I hope that you are comfortable here. There is a wealth of information on here, so read what interests you. If you can't find something, look for the search function box on the forum page. I hope that you can visit often and take care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts