The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am a newly diagnosed diabetic (Type 2), blood sugar averages 6.0-6.3 and on 250 mg metformin 2x daily. Diabetes runs through my family. I am 60.

I also have Celiac Disease, and had my thyroid removed with radiation last year...extreme Graves Disease- Hyperthyroidism. August/2009

I am also a chronic insomniac and have been for 20 years or more. Something I hate.

I have always been a light breakfast person, light lunch if none, and a heavy supper meal person. Love my meat and potatoes, rice, pasta (although gluten free-rice) etc. And I can eat. I am 5'2" and weigh 155 lb, and never weighed more than 100 lbs most of my life, but menopause brought on the weight. Even with hyperthyroidism I did not loose any weight.

One of the things I'm having one heck of a time with is my diet and getting on track with a regular eating program.

I always have terrible brain fog, dizzy spells, insomnia, joint pain, moodiness, lack of concentration. I never and I mean never feel well. But having said that, people are amazed at my energy levels. I walk 40 min hard everyday, and do 30 min of weights, I keep a spotless home, bake, handcrafts, boat, entertain, etc. I think most of this comes from being a Type A personality. I've learned to live with feeling crappy all the time, and just moving on with it.

I'm not sure when I should be taking my metformin, I now take it with my breakfast meal and supper meal. I take my thyroid med first thing in the morning, wait 30 min, then eat breakie and take my metformin.

So all in all, I will be hear looking for and reading advice from the community members, but did want to introduce myself...even if I do sound like a hypercondriac (sp)...I'm really not. It is just that having to eat avoiding gluten was hard enough, and now this.

I need a kick in the backside and need to get on track with some sort of an eating plan, so hopefully I'll find what I need here.

Thanks for listening,

Deb
It is so hard for me to know if I'm feeling

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Welcome!

I gotta ask, amid all your other medical misadventures, have you had GAD-65 testing to make sure you are not dealing with autoimmune D?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

I gotta ask, amid all your other medical misadventures, have you had GAD-65 testing to make sure you are not dealing with autoimmune D?
Never heard of such a test, I'll look into it. I always tell people I'm a autoimmune disaster........

Thanks

Deb

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Deb! You should find some really good hints here. There is a lot of knowledge floating around this group.

You should find eating low carb pretty easy after learning the gluten free diet.

Great to have you on board!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: from me too!

One bit of advice I have - Do your best to try to balance your meals out so you're eating similar amounts of calories and macro-nutrients in each meal. I know it's not easy if it's not what you're used to, but it's really important to help balance your blood sugars as well as your metabolism.

And as much as you love potatoes, rice, pasta ... do you best to cut them down as much as possible. Those starches are the #1 elevator of blood glucose, next to pure glucose itself...

Once you get used to reducing the carb, it's easy to live that way - and you still get to have those treats with slight changes... For example, I now eat Loaded Potato Skins (cut 90% of the starch out, add tasty bacon bits, cheese, green onion, yum) when I want potatoes... They satisfy that 'urge' but with MUCH lower starch and no real BG spike for me.

We're glad you joined us!

Reactions: Gene

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi All

I am a newly diagnosed diabetic (Type 2), blood sugar averages 6.0-6.3 and on 250 mg metformin 2x daily. Diabetes runs through my family. I am 60.

I also have Celiac Disease, and had my thyroid removed with radiation last year...extreme Graves Disease- Hyperthyroidism. August/2009

I am also a chronic insomniac and have been for 20 years or more. Something I hate.

I have always been a light breakfast person, light lunch if none, and a heavy supper meal person. Love my meat and potatoes, rice, pasta (although gluten free-rice) etc. And I can eat. I am 5'2" and weigh 155 lb, and never weighed more than 100 lbs most of my life, but menopause brought on the weight. Even with hyperthyroidism I did not loose any weight.

One of the things I'm having one heck of a time with is my diet and getting on track with a regular eating program.

I always have terrible brain fog, dizzy spells, insomnia, joint pain, moodiness, lack of concentration. I never and I mean never feel well. But having said that, people are amazed at my energy levels. I walk 40 min hard everyday, and do 30 min of weights, I keep a spotless home, bake, handcrafts, boat, entertain, etc. I think most of this comes from being a Type A personality. I've learned to live with feeling crappy all the time, and just moving on with it.

I'm not sure when I should be taking my metformin, I now take it with my breakfast meal and supper meal. I take my thyroid med first thing in the morning, wait 30 min, then eat breakie and take my metformin.

So all in all, I will be hear looking for and reading advice from the community members, but did want to introduce myself...even if I do sound like a hypercondriac (sp)...I'm really not. It is just that having to eat avoiding gluten was hard enough, and now this.

I need a kick in the backside and need to get on track with some sort of an eating plan, so hopefully I'll find what I need here.

Thanks for listening,

Deb
It is so hard for me to know if I'm feeling
HI Deb and a big welcome all the way from the Philippines:D.
I'm glad you found us and I think you will not only get good-solid information but will probably make some really good friends along the way. And having friends makes the load a bit lighter:usa2::welcome:.

Gene

1 - 6 of 6 Posts