The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Elsinore here from the East Coast of Canada.

I'm male, 53, reasonably good shape (need to lose about 40 lbs), exercise regularly.

Was rather surprised to have diabetes sneak up on me, since a few months ago my sugars were fine.

Due to many, many family health issues since August 08, I've had trouble sleeping and take a prescribed product called Zoplicon(e) pretty well nightly over the last several months. When I was worried about taking it too much, the Doc said not to worry.

Here's what's funny. If I take a full pill my sugar score is pretty high in the am. If I take half it drops closer to normal (you may ask why not just take half.... doesn't always work.)

I'm wondering if Zoplicon hasn't inititated the diabetes. I get regular blood tests so really surprised this came out of the blue since my high-stress, sleeping pill taking time period.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Elsinore

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello There Elsinore: :)

Good to see you. Are you in Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick??

I'm sorry to hear that you were dxd. with Diabetes but with some Lifestyle changes, it can be controlled.

Ya, Diabetes seems to sneak up on everyone. Sorry, I don't know if Zoplicon caused your Diabetes but I do know that there are drugs that do cause it usually with prolonged use like Prednisone. Do you have Aunts, Uncles, Parents, Grandparents, etc. that have Diabetes? According to Scientists and Doctors, Diabetes can also come from Family genes, trauma to the pancreas, from Bad Lifestyle choices, environmental and chemical toxins, viruses, and probably more. It is predominant in African American, Aboriginal and Hispanic Peoples.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Terrie, I'm in Moncton, New Brunswick.

Beginning to think it has nothing to do with the sleeping med... I was catching a virus and the scores started to go all over the place. Have it under control now for the last few days, in fact when I showed the Doc my sugar scores she felt it was going very well so I wouldn't need meds. Now that's encouraging. I'll hope for the best.

It's a pretty complicated disease, compounded somewhat by me also being a celiac (Gluten Free). It's tricky trying to understand what drives sugar scores up sometimes; a definite learning process.

I have to say this forum is great for a newbie like me. I have learned so much from it in a short time. I also read a Canadian book about managing Type 2 diabetes that was exremely informative.

Thanks for replying!

Elsinore

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Elsinore: :)

Gee, you have Celiac also. Sorry to hear that. That sure makes it tougher diet-wise. My Uncle Has both also for about 20 years. He struggled for a while but he still seems to be doing okay with both Type 2 and Celiac.

Yes, Diabetes is a complicated disease. As you've probably read illness, carbs of course, some meds., weather, alcohol(up then down with most)etc. can raise the blood sugar. Stress can take most Diabetic's sugar level up(I'm in the minority...my sugar drops when I'm stressed). Foods like pizza doesn't take the sugars up as high but it keeps them somewhat high for longer periods. Most Type 1's need 2 shots of Insulin for such foods. It is an interesting disease because it is complicated.

Most Type 2's find that exercise and diet are a must if they want to delay taking Diabetes meds. for a longer time. I'm Glad that you are doing Good at this point.

I hope things are going Well for you and yours in Moncton. :) We got royally dumped on with snow on Wednesday. YW! Thank you!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome Elsinore!

Good to read that you've picked yourself up in order to get good control. You'll do fine. Keep getting informed :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the support and feedback mesdames!

Will be going to take a course in diabetes in the next week or so (and my lovely wife will be coming too), and that should help with some tips on my morning sugars. (I have alread read the info on this site regarding mornings....).

Getting back to my daily walks with the dog (husky) certainly helps, as well as my gym visits; I can see the benefits of exercising!!!

C ya.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's Good to hear that you are going to classes for Diabetes Elsinore. Make sure that you write all the questions down that pertain specifically to your case. Like the DP for example. They should have a period where People are allowed to ask questions. Don't be shy. That's why they are there.

That's Great that your Wife is going with you to the classes. It's usually better to have 4 ears when you go to these classes since we tend to miss information that the other Person may pick up. It's Very important for her also to understand exactly what you may go through even though she won't feel what you are going through. It also may make her less scared if you have a high or low and she will know what to do for you.

My Hubby has helped me more times than I can count through the years thankfully. Then I help him when he is having problems. It works Well, like it's supposed to. There weren't specific classes for both of us to attend back then but I just told him what to do. He's multi-inclined anyways. :)

Yes, exercise is Very important. It helps to open the cells so that the glucose can enter them and do it's job in your body properly, that it is supposed to do. I bet your husky(Beautiful dog)is Happier than you are about the walks. :D You are doing so Good about taking control of this disease so soon. :D I'm Happy to see it. What Canadian Diabetes book did you get to read, by the way?? You didn't say.

I hope that you post back about how your classes go and so on. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Terrie,
the book is called The Canadian Type 2 Diaetes Sourcebook, 2nd edition by Dr. M. Sara Rosenthal.

BTW, my wife picked up some sort of gluten free, diabetic friendly drink by Boost. Have anyone tried it?

Elsinore

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Elsinore: :)

Oh so, you were dxd. as a Type 2 but don't think you are? Why is that? You wouldn't be the first one misdiagnosed, that is for sure. Mny People in their 50's have been dxd. Type 1. Plus there is also Type 1.5. But you could be Type 2. I don't want to knock you off that track. That is for the tests to decide.

Thank you for the Name and Author of the book. If you think it is a easy to understand and worthwhile book, then I'll keep the Title and Author for a Diabetes Book list here.

Yes, I've tried Boost and Ensure before. But it wasn't gluten-free. I didn't get a Boost from it though or notice anything different. I suppose they do help without us knowing it. :rolleyes: That's Great for People with both conditions though. Thanks for that also. :)

I'm not advertising this site. It's just the first one that popped up when I looked boost up. It says gluten-free at the bottom of the list.

Boost Glucose Control (Formerly Boost Diabetic) - Boost Glucose Control - Allegro Medical Supplies

·
Registered
10 Posts
RE: Boost

I tried the Diabetes Boost. It is disgusting! So gross, but I guess like anything, you could probably get used to the taste.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the Doc diagnosed me but has asked me to take a test that will confirm whether type 1 or 2. She suggested I wait a couple of weeks before the test as I was bringing my score down quickly.

I simply assumed I was Type 2 since I was able to move the sugar scores...

Type 1.5---> yikes, too many combos.

Oh yeah, tried the Boost (chocolate) last night... gotta agree with Christina. Like drinking a whole bottle of Gaviscon, but not quite as good ;-)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well, the Doc diagnosed me but has asked me to take a test that will confirm whether type 1 or 2. She suggested I wait a couple of weeks before the test as I was bringing my score down quickly.

I simply assumed I was Type 2 since I was able to move the sugar scores...

Type 1.5---> yikes, too many combos.
That's Excellent Elsinore. Everyone should know exactly which type of Diabetes that they have so that they know how to deal with it better. I'm Glad that I know. :D Yes, that's a Good idea to wait the few weeks. Let us know what the Dr. says please.

Elsinore said:
Oh yeah, tried the Boost (chocolate) last night... gotta agree with Christina. Like drinking a whole bottle of Gaviscon, but not quite as good ;-)
Mmmmm Gaviscon. Haven't tried it but it sounds cheaper than the Boost. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts