The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed October 7th with type 2. Fasting BG 198, A1c 8.3, Triglycerides 778. I'm 48 years old, married 26 years. I stay at home with my 18 year old autistic daughter. My dad and 2 uncles on my mom's side are diabetics. I'm 5'3 and weigh about 150 pounds. I was shocked, but looking back I had many symptoms (losing weight without trying, vision blurring, hair loss, thirst, and fatigue.) My life is stressful because my daughter is really a handful, so I attributed my symptoms to stress.

The doctor prescribed me Tricor and 2000 mg Metformin (1000 mg x2 a day) I've completely changed my diet to low carb. So far I think I'm doing well - I've kept my BG levels lower than 110 fasting and 2 hours after eating consistantly and I've already lost 10 pounds with my new diet.

I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've found this site an invaluable resource - so thanks to all of you!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So happy to meet you, Zinza . . . and it's good to see you have a handle on this situation already. I hope you'll be able to visit us often - we have a good support group here & it sure makes life easier having people to talk to about it.

Thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi and a warm welcome!

Great results! Welcome done. How did the Met make you feel, are you coping with it ok?

Keep up the great work :)!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm lucky. The pharmacist said I could take 1/2 dose for the first week if it made me sick, but I've done ok. I do get tired sometimes but I did before I was diagnosed as well. I haven't had any of the bad gastrointestional symptoms. In fact, since I eat so many veggies I'm much better in that regard now. My big challenge regarding diet is breakfast. I don't know what to make myself since I can't have the easy cereal and juice anymore. Mornings are hectic because I have to get my daughter ready and drive her to school. Now I have to test my blood and take my medicine as well. What do you guys eat for a satisfying and easy breakfast?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I was similar to you when I was dx'd. I was and still am 5'3" and about 148 pounds. I worked out all the time so I was shocked when I got the diagnosis. I also started on metformin and now have raised it to 2550. The LC diet will work, so stick with it. I now weigh 120 pounds. The metformin may take up to 6 weeks to work fully. My HbA1c was in the high 10's and is now 5.3. So this disease can be managed. Are you on the Extended Release version of metformin, if not ask your doctor to switch your Rx.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I make small quiches and freeze them and they are so easy to grab from the bad and eat on my way to whatever when I'm in a hurry. No crust, just lots of eggs and cheese and whatever I'm in the mood to put in them...chives, basil, garlic or whatever.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On Weekends I do a lot of cooking. I make small egg muffins similar to quiches. I make them in those silicone muffin pans and store them in tupperware. I also make low carb waffles and pancakes that you can then just warm in microwave. I also make my own low carb english muffins and low carb bagels. You can make a bunch and just warm them up . I like to grill them on a grill pan or on a painni maker.

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi Zinza and welcome...I'm in a similar position to you...my autistic son James is 28 and goes to a "recreation" centre twice a week...and I'm terrible at eating first thing in the morning...as in I cannot stomach food but like Shanny I have a coffee with cream :)

I agree with all the pre-planning everyone has said above...what I do is snack on some almonds before the morning child-delivery-run...and when I get back home I have a later breakfast/brunch...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Welcome Zinza -- sounds like you have got a handle on things! :)

I have a daughter on the autism spectrum, she is 10 and mildly affected -- but despite having speech and other cognitive delays, did not get a dx till age 6. She is easygoing and not too challenging, other than academically -- but I have a lot of friends with kids on the spectrum and know how very stressful it can be!

Welcome -- I know you are gonna love it here!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts