The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. My name is Shannon, and I'm 25 years old. I'm married and the mother of two wonderful girls, ages 4 and 6 months. I quit my job as a Chiropractic Assistant at the beginning of March to stay home with my kids. My 4 year old was really missing me and having some issues surrounding that, and I'm breastfeeding my baby and found that as time went on, my work was less and less supportive of me pumping or having to take time off for sick kids/no babysitter. So I threw in the towel! Over the following week, I started losing weight (well, I'm nursing, it's baby weight, and not eating out for lunch every day anymore, why not?). I started getting really thirsty, especially at night (again, I'm nursing and I was consciously trying to add more water into my day, so why not?). I was up peeing 3-5 times a night (but I was drinking so much water!). I was exhausted (well, yeah, 2 kids is tiring and I haven't slept through the night in years!). My eyesight, over a period of days, went from not bad to not being able to read anything or drive. That's when I decided I needed to get those checked. How strange of myopia to show up at this stage in my life, but I guessed I probably needed glasses. I went to my PCP first because I was uncertain of what kind of vision coverage I have through my health insurance. My doctor looked me over, said she didn't detect anything, set me up with an eye doctor who asked her to check my blood sugar on the way out the door. Thank goodness they did! The only thing I had eaten in nearly 18 hours was a small bowl of Cheerios. My blood sugar was 425.

Fast forward two weeks: I'm on 4 daily insulin injections, my endocrinologist says I'm Type 1 (even though I begged him to reconsider - blood work, however, doesn't lie and is a bit more solid than professional opinion). I'm still making a little insulin but it's on it's way out apparently. Tweaking my insulin requirements is scary, I have a hypoglycemic episode nearly every day, with yesterday's being the worst. Not to forget the unexplained highs approaching 300 on the same days... it's very confusing and frustrating. I feel deprived and angry. I wish someone would hold my hand throughout this entire process, not just say "You have an incurable autoimmune disease, here are some needles, here's how you use them, see you in a month."

Anyways, there's a lot more to my story, as there is to everyone's story. But I've rambled on for too long and my daughter is going to be late for preschool (my eyes have gotten better and I can drive again, don't worry!). That's my diagnosis in a nutshell (albeit a large shell!).

Shannon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Shannon, Im Adele, nice to meet you.
I only found out was type 1 in middle of february - its kinda scary i know. Although i will say that i really thought i had cancer and would not be seeing the Formula one season this year so will be honest and say that diabestes seems like a much easier option.

I live in North Wales and the team at the Hospital and my Doc have been great (i wasnt registered with Docs for the last 7-8 years). Although i do know what you mean about "here's the stuff - this is what you do and off you pop" it can be panic inducing but i think the best way to learn is via practice. Plus i guess everyone deals with it differently - they must have thought you were very capable of dealing with itI wanted to learn as much asap so could leave the hospital - there was talk of blood transfusions etc. and i felt great after having some insulin so couldnt understand why they were so worried. Was surprised about your eyes going myopic, mine were fine until started insulin (4 times a day too) then the lens squashed when left hospital (how many almost out of date things did i buy AND eat LMAO)- its all fine now though.
The hypos most days will ease off when you start getting into a routine - someone here recommended "energy tablets" (called Dextro energy over here) and tried my 1st one today which was great, was getting hypo mid morning but cant eat as much as required so the tablet really helped and saw me through to lunch - well impressed.

I apologise i think my nutshell is longer than yours!! nice to meet you and hope you are feeling better soon. Take care and be happy:)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Shannon, I remember visiting Acadia National Park in Maine in 1997. It is beautiful there! I would like to go there again.

I am glad you are getting things under better control, but you need to be able to handle those highs and lows. I recommend your buying the book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh. It can be ordered on amazon.com. It is important to know about carb counting to correctly determine the appropriate dosages of your insulin before meals and snacks. If it is difficult to grasp what you need from the book, you might prefer to see a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator). Here in NY CDE's can be found in the Diabetes Education Center in hospitals. Carb counting, the correct carb ratios (number of carbs you can have for each unit of insulin) and your insulin sensitivity level (how many points your blood sugar will drop for each unit of fast acting insulin) are all very important in preventing those highs and lows.

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With good control we can have long, healthy lives. Your daughters will appreciate your taking the necessary steps to control your diabetes. You can live to see them married and you can be there for your grandchildren.

Good luck in the months ahead. Ask all the questions you want!

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to our support forum, Shannon. Sorry for your diagnosis, but sure glad you found us here. There's a world of good information and wisdom here.

I won't be as much help to you since I'm a non-insulin dependent type 2, but I've sure been where you are with two small children & a household to manage. ((((Shannon))))

So thank you for joining us and I hope you're able to get hold of those highs/lows . . . much more comfortable ride if you can cruise along more evenly.

take care, ask all the questions you want . . . if we don't know the answers, we usually know someone who DOES know.

So good to meet another Shannon too . . . when I was a youngster, it was not a very popular name & I wondered sometimes what my parents were thinking to name me such an "odd" name! :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing!

Wow, thanks guys for the quick responses, encouragement, stories, advice. I do appreciate it! I wasn't sure if I was "ready" to talk to other people in the same situation; I'm glad I did.

Shannon

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Shannon! I am T2 but I understand the vision problem. 5 years after my diagnosis, I was only testing 3 times per week at the direction of my doctor, my vision was getting more blurry day by day, I was also experiencing headaches. One day my vision got so blurry that I could barely see to drive. I checked my blood sugar and it was over 300 so I went to see my doctor and he told me that I could no longer control my blood sugar with pills and that I needed to be on insulin. After 3 days of being on insulin my vision cleared up and the headaches were gone. Diabetes does require a bit of your time and I am sure you have your hands full with children and all. Hang in there and take care.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Shannon! Glad you found us but sorry you had to! Dont worry about being overwhelmed...its natural and we were all there at one time. Sometimes I am still overwhelmed! As Richard said previously...carb counting is the key and figuring out how much insulin you need to cover carbs and how much to correct highs is going to really help those highs and lows. Unfortunately everyone is different in their requirement so what works for me isnt going to necessarily work for you. Some diabetics also have insulin resistance issues to deal with which can make it tricky. I am type 2 but I am now at the point where my pancreas is making very little insulin on its own so I an now insulin dependant also. I can completely relate to you eye issues. A couple of months ago my blood sugar was averaging so high (350-400) and my vision went totally crazy...I couldnt even drive. Within a couple of months of fairly good control it is back to normal again. The only issue I have with it is that I have a "window" where I feel great and my vision is perfect. I find if I go below 80 or above 160...there goes my vision again! Its good I guess because it keeps me motivated to stay in that window :)

Well I guess I got even more long-winded....but welcome and please feel free to ask anything or just vent if ya have to!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts