The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My mom was recently diagnosed with Charcot's joint. She has been an insulin-dependent diabetic for over 30 years. She had osteomyelitis in her big toe about 10 years ago, which was amputated and a recent partial toe amputation on the other foot due to osteomyelitis. This Charcot's joint seems to be progressing fairly quickly since her diagnosis about 2 months ago. She keeps fracturing her foot and ankle, which is very concerning to me. Before the Charcot's joint issue, she was a very active person. She is in pain and I am not sure what I can do to help her, so that is why I am asking for any suggestions. Please help. Can anyone tell me about treatment options or surgeries that could help her prevent future amputation of that limb. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello there, welcome to our community! I think this is the very first time Charcot's disease has come up on this diabetes site. I have seen it come up several times on other sites so I am going to refer you to the following site since I don't think you will get information here. The site I am giving you suggests an excellent surgeon and there are other Charcots patients there as well.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/neuropathy/18110-anyone-been-told-they-have-charcot-foot-4

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts