The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a doctor's appointment last Monday and I had a question on my blood test's taken last month. Little did I realize that I was digging up more than I could chew. My RDW on my last blood test was 19 and the high normal end was 15 and I asked my doctor what that meant and he told me that it meant that that the width of my red blood cells were off. (Correct me if I am wrong) So he wanted to check my iron level and my iron level was 13 and low normal was 35-170. I am taking ferrus sulfate 4 times a day. My doctor wants to check for blood in my stool and I might need another colonoscopy. I just don't know if I can put myself through that prep again. Does anyone know what causes iron deficiency anemia?

G

·
hi Breeze.... my last iron test was Oct10 (I'm due another one) and I was also 13 for my ferritin iron level (range is 30-150 on pathology report... not sure what measurement that is?). My haemoglobin (serum iron) reading was 160 from memory which is really good... so I'm not anemic as such, just iron deficient. I've been as low as 6 on that iron ferritin reading previously too. It doesn't help that we also have diabetes... too many things making us tired. I think there are a number of causes that can lead to iron deficiency anemia... things such as blood loss, malabsorbtion, B12 deficiency, etc. Also I notice you have gastroparesis... so that could be your cause too.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi Breeze.... my last iron test was Oct10 (I'm due another one) and I was also 13 for my ferritin iron level (range is 30-150 on pathology report... not sure what measurement that is?). My haemoglobin (serum iron) reading was 160 from memory which is really good... so I'm not anemic as such, just iron deficient. I've been as low as 6 on that iron ferritin reading previously too. It doesn't help that we also have diabetes... too many things making us tired. I think there are a number of causes that can lead to iron deficiency anemia... things such as blood loss, malabsorbtion, B12 deficiency, etc. Also I notice you have gastroparesis... so that could be your cause too.
I was hoping that I would be healthier this year than last. Can't seem to catch a break!

G

·
I was hoping that I would be healthier this year than last. Can't seem to catch a break!
yeah you've been having a rough time of it of late. :hug:
I was diagnosed with functional dyspepsia this week so I'm not overly excited either.... need a break like you. I'm working full time and I'm feeling fatigued all the time. I've been getting tremors... but I've figured it's the low iron as when I take iron supplement (which I haven't done much of due to stomach) I actually stop having the tremors. By tremors I mean I get sudden shakes when I pick up something or whatever... I need both my hands sometimes. I full on nearly dropped my morning coffee all over a couple of my staff not long ago. Another lady at work has pernicious anemia and she says she gets the shakes too when she's low. Do you get tremors too? I guess it's really 'weakness' of muscles or something. I just woke up here, but I had 3 hours sleep I think. I need to go back to bed.... but I have things to do first... including grocery shopping (only day I really get to do this).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.