The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to come out of nowhere...my last two blood tests were high and I think I was experiencing some kind of denial, but when I asked "does this mean I have diabetes", the doctor said yes. I've actually been doing a lot of research for two weeks while waiting on the doctor to call me with the results--I don't have insurance so I see doctor's at a clinic in a local hospital and everything is wait, wait, wait. Of course, nowadays that seems to be the case with any doctors.

Now I have to wait another week to attend a Diabetes Self-training class and another week after that to get an appt. to get the prescription for the meter and strips. Until then I'm trying to go by the glycemic index. Fortunately, 2 months ago, I started walking every day and finally got up to walking a mile (for 30 days now) and I started eating healthy. My last fasting blood test was 141 and the A1c was 7.6.

I'm kind of angry at myself because I feel like if I had done it earlier I wouldn't be in this position. I've tried to find all kinds of reasons why I have it but guess it's mainly gaining too much weight for too long and no exercise. I have a business online (for 13 yrs) so I always had an excuse...lotta good that did! So now I'm walking a mile every day and eating right and I've lost 12.5 lbs. so far. Want to lose another 30 lbs (at least) but I'm taking it in small amounts ....

This forum is a godsend for sure....I've found answers to just about all my questions so far. I'm sure I'll have more though and will ask when I do. :)
Thanks,
Diana

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome

It seems to come out of nowhere...my last two blood tests were high and I think I was experiencing some kind of denial, but when I asked "does this mean I have diabetes", the doctor said yes. I've actually been doing a lot of research for two weeks while waiting on the doctor to call me with the results--I don't have insurance so I see doctor's at a clinic in a local hospital and everything is wait, wait, wait. Of course, nowadays that seems to be the case with any doctors.

Now I have to wait another week to attend a Diabetes Self-training class and another week after that to get an appt. to get the prescription for the meter and strips. Until then I'm trying to go by the glycemic index. Fortunately, 2 months ago, I started walking every day and finally got up to walking a mile (for 30 days now) and I started eating healthy. My last fasting blood test was 141 and the A1c was 7.6.

I'm kind of angry at myself because I feel like if I had done it earlier I wouldn't be in this position. I've tried to find all kinds of reasons why I have it but guess it's mainly gaining too much weight for too long and no exercise. I have a business online (for 13 yrs) so I always had an excuse...lotta good that did! So now I'm walking a mile every day and eating right and I've lost 12.5 lbs. so far. Want to lose another 30 lbs (at least) but I'm taking it in small amounts ....

This forum is a godsend for sure....I've found answers to just about all my questions so far. I'm sure I'll have more though and will ask when I do. :)
Thanks,
Diana
Keep it up, it sounds like you have the resolve to make a change. Test, test and test. With no insurance, go to Walmart.com and order a reliOn meter and test strips, both for @$50 Morning fast, after you eat. Watch your carbs. Write your numbers down. Welcome. Come often you will learn alot.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Thanks,
Diana
Welcome Diana! When I was diagnosed, I was mad with myself because I had not been to a doctor for 10 years. I didn't feel sick so I saw no sense in going to the doctor. My diabetes was discovered during routine blood tests. My fasting was 126 at diagnosis. I was not at my ideal weight at diagnosis either. Try and not be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you are getting yourself together and little by little will work. So glad that you found the information on here useful. Please visit often. Take care.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Diana, and welcome to the club you never wanted to join. I'm really glad you found this forum - I'm happy to meet you.

I think you've already absorbed the basics, so just jump in anytime with whatever comments, questions, rants/raves you have . . . as you have already seen, we're a very chatty bunch! :D

You have a very good start on this thing - congratulations on the good weight loss already! It's a shame you don't get better more prompt medical care, but you're so right in saying you can be proactive with this by cutting out high carb foods already & getting more exercise.

since you don't have insurance, I don't see any reason to wait on getting a prescription for the meter - Kooshbal is right about the Walmart ReliOn meter & what it costs. It's the one I use - I've been uninsured for the last twelve years myself (just aged into Medicare two months ago). And they're available at any Walmart pharmacy - you don't have to order online. The sooner you can get testing, the better you'll be.

Thank you for joining us . . . I hope we'll see you frequently around here! :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
HI
Glad your taking ownership of diabetes. and really glad you found the Glycemic index. Not the way we were taught to eat is it? good luck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Diana. Glad you're here.

Do not beat yourself up! Even if you had dieted, exercised and stuck pins in a Diabetes Voodoo doll, you might have come to the same place now, or years from now. There's lots of evidence that there is a strong genetic component to all types of diabetes. Diabetics come in all shapes and sizes, and with all kinds of diet and exercise habits.

At any rate, managing the things you can control is wonderful. And having a resource like DF where people know the daily challenges really makes a difference. I hope you'll keep posting.

Jen

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
hmm diabetes voodoo doll....now *theres* one I havent tried yet :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome....I'm going to check out the meters at Walmart (even though I try not to shop there...lol) because I can't stand not knowing what I can eat or not. My fear is that I may not be able to keep my levels down without medication. My neighbor has a meter and let me use it to test myself yesterday about an hour after eating a sandwich (turkey and lettuce on 12 grain bread) and it was 208. Yikes...I can't wait to find out what my "normal" is.
It's pretty obvious that 12 grain bread is not going to work for me. It's got 24 carbs in one slice....duh.

The best thing about this is that about 5 years ago I did the Atkins diet and lost 55 lbs. Stuck with it for about 1½ years and gradually started eating badly again, but I think it was easier to accept the very low carb intake that is needed with diabetes. I can almost go without any carbs...but I'd rather find a balance that doesn't make my BS go up.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for the welcome....I'm going to check out the meters at Walmart (even though I try not to shop there...lol) because I can't stand not knowing what I can eat or not. My fear is that I may not be able to keep my levels down without medication. My neighbor has a meter and let me use it to test myself yesterday about an hour after eating a sandwich (turkey and lettuce on 12 grain bread) and it was 208. Yikes...I can't wait to find out what my "normal" is.
It's pretty obvious that 12 grain bread is not going to work for me. It's got 24 carbs in one slice....duh.

The best thing about this is that about 5 years ago I did the Atkins diet and lost 55 lbs. Stuck with it for about 1½ years and gradually started eating badly again, but I think it was easier to accept the very low carb intake that is needed with diabetes. I can almost go without any carbs...but I'd rather find a balance that doesn't make my BS go up.
You will find that you become a very conscious label reader. The bread I buy is wheat but only has 13 grams of carbs per slice. I also buy these great sandwich rolls by Orowheat that are 23 grams for the whole roll. I use them all the time and I love them. What ever you buy...even "sugar free" items...check the total carb count. Even sugar free items often are loaded with other sugar alcohols that contribute to the total carb count. Count everything...it all matters. Like people have said,...it isn't just restricting carbs...you need to "eat to your meter". Different foods effect us all differently. For instance, I know diabetics that can still enjoy watermelon. I cant...its like death on a plate for me. But I can eat a fairly large serving of strawberries and even grapes. The only way to really tell is test around different foods and see what works for you. Sometimes even time of day can make a big difference. For example, I can tolerate carbs *much* better in the late morning and afternoon than I can at night. It is more difficult for me to cover my carbs at night so I eat my "carby" meals earlier in the day.

If it turns out you do need some medication, don't fret about it. It isnt *your* failure. You didn't do this to yourself. You are just pancreatically challenged as I like to call it. Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease. Thats just the nature of the beast. Most of us will end up needing medication eventually....some even insulin. Again, its not your failure, so just do whatever you need to do to be healthy. When I was diagnosed I still young and pretty healthy and active. I was only 16. But I have a very strong family history of diabetes. I started out with diet and exercise. That only lasted about 2 years. I took oral medications for many years with good success. Eventually my poor beta cells just pooped out on me and now I take insulin. Medicine is a good thing if you need it :)

Let us know when you get that meter and how you doing. Please feel free to ask anything you like or share whats working for you. We all learn from each other :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like I should move to a different part of the forum instead of staying here in the Introduction section. Let me know if I should, ok?

I bought a meter today ($15, but free after rebate and $31 for 50 test strips). I was going to hold off because in two weeks I'm probably going to get all of it for free, but I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to start testing. That's why I bought a smaller box of test strips though. How many do you think I should use each day?

Do you re-use lancets?

So...I had a large salad before I went shopping. (romaine lettuce, cucumber, hard boiled egg, ham, turkey and ranch dressing) By the time I got home it had been about two hours since the salad and then I had a leg and thigh from a roasted chicken...took me about 45 min. to read the instructions on the meter and do the test. 117.... that's not bad for having eaten, right?

This coming Friday I will go to the diabetes class, so I know I'll get some direction then. I'm just eager to find out what I can eat and what's going to keep me out of trouble. I'm probably going WAY beyond what I need to...maybe not....regarding the amt of carbs, so I'm hoping through testing I can find out if I can have a small glass of milk or a piece of toast in the morning. I think I mentioned that I bought almond milk, but it's soooooo expensive! $6 for a 1/2 gal. Today I bought some flaxseed bread that has 17g carbs per slice. Much better than the 24g per slice 12grain I had before.

So, I'm walking a mile a day, I've lost 13 lbs now and I seem to have a grasp on eating without the carbs, plus now I can test myself. Guess I'm on the right track. Your comments are valued!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My goodness, girl, I should say you're on the right track! You have this low-carbing down like a champ! 117 at 45 minutes postprandial?! Way to go! Roast chicken is one of our mainstays here too, along with roast beef, & I usually have a small ham in the fridge too, although it's more for my better half than myself. But it's always handy for a chef salad or a wrap. And I keep hard-cooked eggs, peeled & covered with water in a jar in the fridge - that's always handy too, for a quick egg salad or the chef salad. We had chef salads for supper tonight, at DH's request, and we diced the roast beef for it this time. Was a really hearty salad & I'll be using RB more often like that. Dunno how DH liked it - he uses a sweet dressing, but my dressing was mayo thinned with pickled jalapeno juice, and it was great.

I haven't changed my lancet for months. I'm the only one using it, and if it isn't so dull that it hurts, I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I try to remember to change my lancet everytime I open a new vial of test strips. But honestly, I often use it until it gets dull and starts to hurt.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool....that's what I wanted to hear about the lancets. (learning so many new words lately!)

Yes, those roast chickens are a godsend!! I'm single, so I get the whole thing to myself! lol....I usually eat the legs and thighs and then chop up the breasts with some celery, onions and hb eggs, mix in some mayo and have lettuce wraps! I LOVE me some chicken salad!

I'm the same as you with the h-boiled eggs! That's what I go to when I don't feel like cooking something. Never thought of keeping them peeled and in water though!! GREAT idea!

Have you all heard about the benefits of cinnamon? I've been taking supplements for awhile now, and love it on everything from oatmeal (can I even eat that now?) to sweet potatoes!! Right now I'm drinking green tea with cinnamon. :) I'm sure this is old news to most of you though.... "Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes."

Right now I'm watching the documentary about raw food: oh, I've seen that guy before (probably on Oprah) Don't think I could do it.
I've got a lot of catching up to do on this forum too!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Have you all heard about the benefits of cinnamon? I've been taking supplements for awhile now, and love it on everything from oatmeal (can I even eat that now?) to sweet potatoes!! Right now I'm drinking green tea with cinnamon. :) I'm sure this is old news to most of you though.... "Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes."
I havent tried the cinnamon thing although I have heard of it. I should give it a try, I know you can even get it in capsule form.

The only way to know if you can eat oatmeal is to test around it. Test before you eat it, then one hour and 2 hours afterwards. Your blood sugar should be back down to normal range within 2 hours of eating it. You will find that, like most of us, some carbs you can tolerate quite well...others should never pass your lips again :)

For instance, I decided to try pancakes for breakfast this morning. I had not eaten them in ages. My blood sugar was 89 before breakfast. I dosed my insulin accordingly and enjoyed my decadent breakfast. Two hours later my blood sugar was 240 *sigh*. I guess I wont try that again! Oh well, I corrected my blood sugar and chalked it up to lesson learned :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry you couldn't do pancakes, Pam. :( What does someone do if they're not able to correct their sugar with insulin? Does it just take time or did I read something about eating some protein or fat to bring it down?

Here's another question... I can usually satisfy a craving with just a bite of something. Will I have to test after every single thing I put in my mouth? I'm going to try popcorn, so should I test right now and then an hour after I eat it? Maybe it's too late to be doing that though....it's 8:30pm. Maybe I should just have a hard boiled egg. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Diana

You are doing the right things

Don't worry - you will be fine

I was diagnosed at over 371 fasting

Within a few weeks, I had it down to under 100

In 5 months I dropped 50 pounds

I used to have a hard time walking around the block

Now I walk/jog 6 miles every other day - in between I swim

EDUCATE - PROPER DIET - PROPER EXERCISE

... and unless you have a time machine, don't get angry at yourself for the past

It's all about the future now.

When you drop a total of 30 pounds and you can walk 5 miles in less than 2 hours, I will personally drive to Michigan and will buy you a salad and some smoked salmon.
Deal?

KB

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sorry you couldn't do pancakes, Pam. :( What does someone do if they're not able to correct their sugar with insulin? Does it just take time or did I read something about eating some protein or fat to bring it down?

Here's another question... I can usually satisfy a craving with just a bite of something. Will I have to test after every single thing I put in my mouth? I'm going to try popcorn, so should I test right now and then an hour after I eat it? Maybe it's too late to be doing that though....it's 8:30pm. Maybe I should just have a hard boiled egg. :)
Before I was taking insulin, I would resort to drinking a lot of water and if it wasnt too high, doing some light exercise to try to burn some of it off. Careful tho, if you are too high, sometimes too vigorous of exercise will make it even higher.

In the beginning especially you will find you have to do quite a bit of testing to get an idea of how *your* body is handling *your* diabetes. I find I don't test as much now as I did for instance when I first starting pumping. But I always test around some new food I try to add in. (like the disaster with pancakes this morning).

I dont usually fret about just a bite of something...unless of course its a big huge bite of something like molten chocolate lava cake!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Think I'm kidding?

Lose 30 pounds
Get the Bg below 99
Walk 5 miles in under 2 hours

You have until August 15 2010

Come on gang, let's cheer Diana on ..........

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, I can see how this could really frustrating until you can figure it out. :(

I didn't have anything after 6pm last night and this morning I had a few sips of a sugar free cider drink (3 carbs in 6 oz) before I tested and my level was 149! I drank more of the cider and tested 1 hr 15 min later and it was 129.

At 7:30 I ate 1 slice of american cheese and a slice of flaxseed toast with butter + about 10 walnuts and a glass of crystal lite peach tea. Went for a 1 mile walk at 8 am and tested at 8:30....it was 144. I'm going to wait another 25 min and that will be 2 hrs after I ate...so will see what it is then.

It seems that you have to test for each individual item to find out what makes the numbers go up. Damn this is confusing!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts