Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Dibetitc ed. Class

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jwags 
#1 ·
Tuesday I attend my diabetic Ed. Class. After being on this forum I guess I am heading in to it a little skeptical.
I have seen read many posts on here about how most DBE push the ADA diet with increased carbs. And like many here I have found that a low or reduced carb diet has greatly helped lower my BG readings.
So it there any other bogus info that I can expect? I tend to trust those that live and deal with this on a daily basis more than someone her learned in in school, but have never experienced it.

#2 ·
This is something it's still hard to wrap my brain around. With the epidemic of diabetes, how do they get away with giving such universally bad (and harmful) information?

I didn't go through the class (met with a 2nd CDE who towed the party line, but also offered her class wouldn't benefit me, after I showed her my numbers and admitted to low-carb) - but expect the worst information is how many carbs we =should= eat (not "eat to your meter") and what blood sugar numbers are acceptable. Their 'acceptable' numbers insure diabetes will be progressive. The best chance we have of staving off or preventing progression is to strive for bs numbers significantly below the miserable standards the ADA sets for us.

#3 ·
I didn't do the class but had a 1:1 with a CDE but got same spiel. I would suggest you write down a list of questions. Things like

1. What is normal bg for fasting and after meals for non diabetics?
2. What should be the fasting and after meal for diabetics?
3. If they give you the 140-180 figure , ask why it is so high and what damage can you expect with after meal bgs that hight.
4. Ask about the theory of Eating to your Meter
5. Since every diabetic is diferent every diabetic should have an individualised meal plan based on their own bgs.
6. Ask about different medications and their side effects. Many diabetes meds do substantial damage and should be avoided.
7. Ask why doctors don't want diabetic patients to educate themselves and lower their HbA1c's as low as possible

I would go on Jenny's site and review her material, so you have a good grasp on the subject matter and then ask her about it.

Blood Sugar 101

Reactions: Shanny
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.