The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this link had a nice approach. Just cutting back on carbs and calories 2 days a week had good results. (the page is a bit drab, seems to be the mobile version, but couldn't find a regular version)

Orlando Sentinel - Low-carb diets beat low-cal for cutting pounds and cancer risk, study finds

One of the goals is to lower insulin levels. It had this scary quote.

Insulin is a cancer-promoting hormone.
That is complete news to me. Do any of the encyclopedia minds here have links about that? I googled it and just got a few 'maybe' pages.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think that may work for weight loss but it won't work for keeping your bgs low. Last week Frank posted a great video on Low Carb diets. It said if you cheat on your low carb diet it could take you weeks to get back into Ketosis.

Reactions: smorgan and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If the Orlando Sentinel had offered a comments section, I'd have happily told them there is a diabetes epidemic in the world today (in case they didn't get the memo :rolleyes:), and they are ignoring it completely by insinuating that low-carbing "even for only two days a week" is helpful for lowering blood sugar levels. A lot of less knowledgeable people are going to interpret their "... lowering insulin levels" as beneficial for diabetes, and it ain't so.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I haven't heard that insulin is a cancer producing hormone but very high insulin levels or hyperinsulmenia can be the cause of many diseases. Most cancer cells thrive in a glucose rich environemnt. It would seem the more carbs you eat the higher the chance of you getting cancer. But whether it is the high glucose or the high insulin I don't know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just thinking of the weight loss part when I posted that, but I thought it went in some nice directions, like the conclusion.

It is interesting that the diet that only restricts carbohydrates but allows unlimited protein and fats is as effective as the calorie-restricted, low-carbohydrate diet
It did seem to be concerned with lower insulin levels for non diabetics. I can't remember who, but someone here posted that his focus is keeping his insulin requirements down, and low carbs were the best way to do that.

(I don't have much of a memory for names.)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you eat carbs your beta cells have to secrete insulin to push the glucose into the cells to be used as energy. The problem with Type 2's is often we are insulin resistant. That means the insulin we produce is not recognised by our cells and the pancreas keeps producing insulin. So we have way too much insulin on board which could lead to weight gain and central obesity. So the best way to get rid of this central obesity is a low carb/high fat diet because it automatically lowers insulin levels in the body. The only reason I started Low Carb was to stabalize my bgs, the weight loss was a nice extra. But even at my goal weight I am still very much diabetic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts