Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Diet can lead to less medication for diabetics...really?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RobertIA 
#1 ·
What If Dieting Merely Lets Diabetics Take Fewer Medicines? - Forbes

Ya, I was being sarcastic! I mean, really, how long have we known this? Yet it still took a huge study to find out what we already knew. Surprisingly, they didn't find sustained weight loss between the dieters and the control group but I can just imagine what kind of "diet" they were on. I have not read the actual study but the article in Forbes links to the New York Times article outlining the study and that points to a reduced calorie diet. See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/20/h...vent-heart-attacks-in-diabetics.html?hp&_r=1&

In some ways I'm not surprised. The majority of diabetics, whether Type 1 or 2 or Lada, still follow the advice of the ADA or a dietician/nutritionist. That means that the prevailing thought amongst researchers and diabetics alike is that the ADA diet is perfectly acceptable. I highly doubt that they would ever take the advice of diabetics doing low carb or ketogenic diets. However, if they did, they did, they would likely find a dramatic difference in their results.

#2 ·
:laugh: Like you, I have no idea why this is a startling revelation. Food and drink are the primary source of your blood glucose, namely carbohydrates. So when you change how you eat, you have less glucose in your blood, and that might allow you to reduce or eliminate medications or insulin. I'm sure this is an amazing insight for some, but any diabetic who's been managing this disease for even a few days will find a correlation. I saw my post-meal spikes drop from 300+ to 150 in less than a week simply from low carbing.

#3 ·
This RD has something to say

This is one RD (registered dietitian) that does not follow the American Diabetes Association or the USDA for nutrition advice. This is a long blog with many excellent points. RD does NOT stand for I will continue to read this blogger - Adele Hite and I believe she does understand - maybe not about diabetes specifically, but she knows what is largely behind the obesity epidemic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.