The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Diet drinks have 0 carbs so they shouldn't affect bgs. But sometimes people are sensitive to the caffeine and may spike from that. I do drink Diet Dr Pepper but am trying to cut back because I am not sure if the artificial sweetners are all that great for me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My understanding is that aspartame will cause an insulin response but splenda doesn't and the plant extract STEVIA also will not cause an insulin response. I am not sure about the others.

Everybody is different. Splenda does bother me. I try and stay away from the sugar packets all together. As for the diet soda's I am doing my best just to stay away from it all together.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
An diet drinks effect a diabetic????
jwags quote was " they shouldn't affect bgs." and perhaps for some they don't.

But I'm a sad old man who thinks that what we swallow has an impact on our bodies.

Some members of the forum swear by Splenda and others by Stevia. Me - I got a problem with them all especially with aspartame - with that I get migraines so, that's a complete no no!

As I understand it, any sweet tastes in the mouth sends the body the signal "you need insulin to process me!"

This includes all sugar substitutes, even the ones that don't spike us. So, when we swallow a sweetener, our damaged pancreas gets pushed to produce some insulin - and burn itself out a bit quicker.

Bottom line - lose the sweet tooth - drink water!

Just my opinion! John

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have always loved Diet Coke, but I've restricted myself severely in the amount I drink.

Whether it be Crystal Light, Diet Sodas, or any other no-sugar diet drink, I am convinced I get an insulin response from it. I've always noticed cravings shortly after drinking them.

As such, I ONLY have them with my meals (when the insulin can actually do something, so it's not left creating cravings) and any other time of the day I have water.

Edit: I should add that I've cut down to one or two diet drinks a week. It's a 'treat' for me. I don't have them every meal =)

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hey Ive been chewing sugar free gum, when driving, would this trigger a sugar response?
My understanding - YES!

Does it matter? Depends on the state of your pancreas. If it's normal or completely dead - No problem - If it's like mine - compromised - you're wasting what little insulin it can generate.

I'm not a doctor - so I may be off the mark here but I don't think I am.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My understanding - YES!

Does it matter? Depends on the state of your pancreas. If it's normal or completely dead - No problem - If it's like mine - compromised - you're wasting what little insulin it can generate.

I'm sure your BANG on the mark, John. We're all different, but anything 'sweet-tasting' has been shown to elicit an insulin response in many people, both diabetics and NON-diabetics. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens to enough people that I don't take chances with my own health.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I unfortunately can only use aspartame because I have bad reaction to Splenda, and I just really don't like the aftertaste of Stevia. I have no problems with the aspartame as far as bodily response to it, but John you are probably right in that it caused the compromised pancreas to have to work when it should be resting; hence the need for the insulin right now. I have been trying to stick to only one diet drink a day (usually with lunch), but with that said, I do use aspartame in my coffee and I drink quite a bit of it daily. I am going to try and cut down to just the morning and try using green tea or some other type of healthy tea in the evenings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My understanding - YES!

O K, Ive thrown the out, now people will have to suffer my bad breath.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I unfortunately can only use aspartame because I have bad reaction to Splenda, and I just really don't like the aftertaste of Stevia. I have no problems with the aspartame as far as bodily response to it, but John you are probably right in that it caused the compromised pancreas to have to work when it should be resting; hence the need for the insulin right now. I have been trying to stick to only one diet drink a day (usually with lunch), but with that said, I do use aspartame in my coffee and I drink quite a bit of it daily. I am going to try and cut down to just the morning and try using green tea or some other type of healthy tea in the evenings.
As I said, I do have a personal issue with aspartame - migraines are no fun at all!:( and a general prejudice against any chemical generated sweetener. I've never tried Stevia as it doesn't seem to be on offer over here but it falls under my rule of "chemical processing needed"!

As beefy said, we are all different - if you don't feel you have an issue with aspartame, used in moderation .....

John

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yea for having type 1. I sure don't have to worry about any insulin response to artificial sweeteners. And since I have addisons I don't have to worry about the caffine effects either.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I prefer to drink water. It tastes good, and doesn`t harm me at all.
If I would like something in a party, I prefer a glass of red wine. Many red wines are less than 1 kh per liter.
I don`t drink any sodas at all, but sometimes I want something sweet that doesn`t give me a peak. I choose to put some frozen raspberries and some creme and just a drop of stevia in the blender, and voila! I have a really tasty "milkshake" and my bloodsugar likes it!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
cant live without my diet pepsi wild cherry.

never liked splenda as its always treated me like regular sugar (meaning makes me urinate like a race horse)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts