The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe for a diabetic to take Adipex to lose weight? I want to lose some weight for my vacation in April and I am having trouble losing it. Iwant my numbers to go down too. I was fasting at 191 yesterday and last night I was at 335. I have an appointment this afternoon to get my results of blood work.I am always hungry.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Is it safe for a diabetic to take Adipex to lose weight? I want to lose some weight for my vacation in April and I am having trouble losing it. Iwant my numbers to go down too. I was fasting at 191 yesterday and last night I was at 335. I have an appointment this afternoon to get my results of blood work.I am always hungry.:rolleyes:
Be cautious. Phentermine is a nervous system stimulant, and can affect blood glucose levels. Whether it's safe for you will involve TESTING. Some people report LOWER blood sugars and lower A1c's, however that may simply be associated with exercise and weight-loss.

As for safety - It would appear to be safe - After the big Phen-fen scare in the USA they determined it wasn't the Phenteramine part of the equation causing problems, it was the fenfluramine that could cause life-threatening complications, so Phentermine is back on the market. Phentermine alone has been used since 1959 or something...

The MANUFACTURERs have done studies that show it promotes weight loss - but we know how reliable those studies are. It's likely the numbers are very skewed in a manufacturers favor. I don't know of any independent clinical studies done. At least none I can find for free.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
reduce carb intake and work out as much as you can, you will lose weight

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
reduce carb intake and work out as much as you can, you will lose weight
This is true - as long as you provide your body enough FAT and moderate protein to fuel the low-carb workouts.

Too many people on Low-Carb end up Low-Calorie ... and if working out a LOT they can lose muscle instead of fat.

Everybody's metabolism is different. Some may need, say 1,500 low-carb calories and moderate exercise to lose weight, Others over 3,000 calories doing strenuous exercise.

There's a key: DON'T BE HUNGRY. If you're hungry, you're either getting cravings from too much insulin in your system - usually caused by too many carbs - or you may be hyperinsulinemiac, meaning you produce too much insulin in response to carbs. Either way, the key is to reduce carbs. Increase your healthy fat intake and take in moderate protein. A third reason you might be hungry is you're simply not eating enough.

FAT is the best fuel source as we reduce carbohydrate. The body adapts to it's use very well. Make sure you eat enough of it to both feel full and have your energy needs met.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
As said above, cut your carbs and move around. I lost 50 lbs last year by eating 20 or less per day and I could not get exercise due to a health problem. I used basically the Atkins diet, but paid attention to Bernstein's book too. You would do well to read www.bloodsugar101 also.

For me, to was a real shock to learn carbs make you hungrier. Eating low carb causes you to not crave more!

Good luck,

Pat

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
This is true - as long as you provide your body enough FAT and moderate protein to fuel the low-carb workouts.

Too many people on Low-Carb end up Low-Calorie ... and if working out a LOT they can lose muscle instead of fat.

Everybody's metabolism is different. Some may need, say 1,500 low-carb calories and moderate exercise to lose weight, Others over 3,000 calories doing strenuous exercise.

There's a key: DON'T BE HUNGRY. If you're hungry, you're either getting cravings from too much insulin in your system - usually caused by too many carbs - or you may be hyperinsulinemiac, meaning you produce too much insulin in response to carbs. Either way, the key is to reduce carbs. Increase your healthy fat intake and take in moderate protein. A third reason you might be hungry is you're simply not eating enough.

FAT is the best fuel source as we reduce carbohydrate. The body adapts to it's use very well. Make sure you eat enough of it to both feel full and have your energy needs met.

while i agree with you, the origin of this thread is that the user wants to lose weight, and is thinking about turning to a "magic pill" to lose it.

to me, that's no good. want to lose weight? then be prepared to be hungry. everything has its "cost". as long as your numbers are fine, you can live being "hungry"

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
while i agree with you, the origin of this thread is that the user wants to lose weight, and is thinking about turning to a "magic pill" to lose it.

to me, that's no good. want to lose weight? then be prepared to be hungry. everything has its "cost". as long as your numbers are fine, you can live being "hungry"
Well Eric, we must agree to disagree on one thing: I don't think hunger ever equals healthy weight loss.

If it's TRUE hunger (physical pains) then people aren't eating enough.

If it's hunger cravings (physiological / psychological) then it's usually too much insulin - often the result of carbs. I'm sure we agree here on reducing carbs as much as possible.

If it's a general feeling they 'might be hungry' because they're too tired, etc., then it's likely a result of too little FAT in the diet.

Now here's the real difficult one - if it's a person who experiences emotional/psychological cravings for food, then it's going to be about changing the mindset. Instead of food as a reward or comfort, food must be seen as fuel, and weight-loss and better health as a reward. It's not easy for some people to get there, and they may need help. Others have the willpower to easily change (well, maybe not easily) their mindset/thinking in these regards.

Instead of being "prepared to be hungry" I'd like to think of it more as "prepared to use willpower to resist cravings" ... That's my personal opinion, anyhoo.

We also agree there is NO MAGIC PILL. :) There are certainly things that can help with weight loss - but never to the extent of manufacturer claims. 99% of the weight-loss equation is proper Diet and Exercise.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would not use any type of diet pill without discussing it with your doctor first. If I remember you are on Metformin. The longer you are on Metformin the easier you will find it to lose weight. Can you also tell us a little about your lifestyle. Do you exercise and what type of foods do you eat. Diabetics don't metabolise carbs very well and the ones not used for energy are often stored as fat. So cutting back on all carbs even the healthy ones may be needed. I found when I gave up Cereal, all grains, potatoes, corn, most fruits and all junk food my weight dropped pretty quickly. Also the best way to keep weight off is to do some type of weight workouts. This will tone up your muscles so you look better in your clothes , especially beachware. There are tons of success stories on this forum about people who took off great amounts of weight by eating low carb and exercising.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you're still taking your metformin, it is the pill which will curb your appetite and facilitate weight loss. Metformin works much better with a low-carb/high-fat diet, so if you're already cutting out all the bread, potatoes, pasta, rice & sweets, you just need to stick with it.

The numbers you've given us would seem to indicate that you haven't completely cut out carbs, so start building your meals around protein & fat. Read the labels and avoid all the foods with high carbohydrate. Completely avoid anything made with grains like corn, wheat, oats, rice, etc.; and this means cold cereal, rice crackers & anything else made with grain.

You can do it without dangerous "diet pills". The metformin pill is the safest one there is, and it will help bring your blood sugar under control at the same time it helps you lose weight.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My diet pill is metformin, I have lost 55lbs since I started metformin, along with proper diet and lower carb, I'm not as low as most on here, I am about 100-120g a day.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My diet pill is metformin, I have lost 55lbs since I started metformin, along with proper diet and lower carb, I'm not as low as most on here, I am about 100-120g a day.
That's pretty high for me, Paul - unless I'm exercising like crazy to burn it...

I used to eat that much (100-150g daily) when exercising anywhere from 3 to 5 hours a day... But back then I was also eating like 4,000 calories a day and burning so much I'd lose 75 lbs in 4 months.

Now that I'm exercising around 1hr a day I've had to cut it to anywhere from 30-80g or so. I strive to balance it around the 50-60g per day mark, but every day is slightly different in meals, you know?

Even though I eat about the same carb amounts as some real low-carbers here - probably similar to the amount Shanny does - I'm probably much higher in overall calories than others, still about 3,000 or more a day. Still losing fat, though not as fast as initially - which is normal.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Well Eric, we must agree to disagree on one thing: I don't think hunger ever equals healthy weight loss.

If it's TRUE hunger (physical pains) then people aren't eating enough.

If it's hunger cravings (physiological / psychological) then it's usually too much insulin - often the result of carbs. I'm sure we agree here on reducing carbs as much as possible.

If it's a general feeling they 'might be hungry' because they're too tired, etc., then it's likely a result of too little FAT in the diet.

Now here's the real difficult one - if it's a person who experiences emotional/psychological cravings for food, then it's going to be about changing the mindset. Instead of food as a reward or comfort, food must be seen as fuel, and weight-loss and better health as a reward. It's not easy for some people to get there, and they may need help. Others have the willpower to easily change (well, maybe not easily) their mindset/thinking in these regards.

Instead of being "prepared to be hungry" I'd like to think of it more as "prepared to use willpower to resist cravings" ... That's my personal opinion, anyhoo.

We also agree there is NO MAGIC PILL. :) There are certainly things that can help with weight loss - but never to the extent of manufacturer claims. 99% of the weight-loss equation is proper Diet and Exercise.
Yes, agree to disagree it is.

i will add that if anyone is used to eating two big macs, large fries and ice cream as their meal, then goes from that to a single with cheese....of course they're going to be hungry. That is where my "prepare to be hungry" pretty much comes from.

most people (especially Americans) have a really hard time conceiving what "one portion" really is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My doctor put me on this becuase I have high blood sugars and need to lose weight. I am also on insulin (both lantus & Apidra). To me taking Adipex was a big waste of time. I took it for 6 months and it didn't do anything for me. The first week or two you can feel the affects of it and not feel as hungry but your body quickly gets used to it and you don't feel anything. I have several friends who have also taken this and they say the same thing that after the initial few weeks you don't feel the affects of it. I finally stopped taking it after 6 months becuase I got tired of wasting my money. Now I have the same struggle with losing weight. That is why I am considering changing to LC/HF diet to help with that.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
As long as you eat carbs, you will be hungry. A hard concept for people to learn, but very true. Once you drop them and switch to good oils and protein with plenty of green veg you'll become far less hungry.

Hope I'm not repeating myself, but it DOES bear repeating!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...i will add that if anyone is used to eating two big macs, large fries and ice cream as their meal...
You know what's sad? I used to eat like that.

My job kept me on the road, and I'd keep eating fast food. I didn't like McDonalds... my go-to place was Burger King.

Two whoppers w/cheese and bacon (104g carb), Large Fries (69g carb), Diet Coke, Hershey Sundae Pie (32g carb) was a regular meal for me. Occasionally I'd mix it up and have Chicken Sandwiches instead of the whoppers, same amount of carb, basically.

For those that don't want to do the math, that's 205g of carbohydrate in a single meal. It's also 2,390 calories. That's according to their published nutritional info which is allowed to be up to 20% low... And I ate like that regularly. On days where I DID take my lunch, it was usually TWO sandwiches, not one... I've got an appetite...

No wonder my pancreas started giving up, eh?

I wish I'd known THEN what I know now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I ate the same way, I was a savage! I'd eat so much crap. Burger King was my go to also but I'd get the poutine with it. I can't believe I ate like that. Somedays I miss it though.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts

My job kept me on the road, and I'd keep eating fast food. I didn't like McDonalds... my go-to place was Burger King.

Two whoppers w/cheese and bacon (104g carb), Large Fries (69g carb), Diet Coke, Hershey Sundae Pie (32g carb) was a regular meal for me. Occasionally I'd mix it up and have Chicken Sandwiches instead of the whoppers, same amount of carb, basically.

For those that don't want to do the math, that's 205g of carbohydrate in a single meal. It's also 2,390 calories. That's according to their published nutritional info which is allowed to be up to 20% low... And I ate like that regularly. On days where I DID take my lunch, it was usually TWO sandwiches, not one... I've got an appetite...

No wonder my pancreas started giving up, eh?

I wish I'd known THEN what I know now.
Same thing for me Beefy, i was a "Wendy's" guy though. Used to like to pick out 8-10 items from the "dollar menu" and call it a meal.

i was in the 290lb weight mark for most of my adult life

·
Registered
497 Posts
Me too, topped out at 295 at one point. Cheers to 290 range! Bigger cheers for losing it guys!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

Doesn't it just crack you up when you read things like this, even if you wrote it yourself, that you ate all that food with a DIET COKE! Like were the calories or sugar in a regular Coke going to make that much of a difference after all the bad fat and carbs you just ingested? I understand the quote as well "if I only knew THEN what I know NOW". I guess none of us would be in the boat we are in had we only known. :rolleyes:
Please don't be offended by this Beefy; it most certainly was not intended to be sarcastic to you. I'm talking about everyone...because we can all make this same comment. I know people who will get a Mcchicken at McD's because it's chicken, and chicken is better for you right? Well not if that chicken sandwich is on a white flour bun, with breaded and deep-fried in hydrogenated oil it isn't! Honestly, sometimes you just want to bonk someone upside the head.~!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts