The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
2,618 Posts
I don't have a formal diet plan as such. I try to keep keto (in a ketogenic state) by computing my body's macronutrient needs (do a Web search for keto macro calculator) and sticking to that as I eat.

Breakfast for me is almost always a couple of eggs and either some cooked greens or maybe some breakfast meat on the side. Lunch is almost always a salad of greens/herbs, cucumber, peppers, a radish, a bit of onion, maybe some tomato or other non-starchy vegetable hanging around, and 3-5 ounces of protein (I usually use up leftovers at this meal). Dinner is typically a serving of protein and a veggie side. I do count my snacks in my macros. I adjust fats per meal (for example, if I put lean chicken on my salad, I'll either use an oil in the dressing or add some cheese). I find eating pretty much the same thing all the time makes my intake consistent and largely spares me calculating the macros every day.

When you're keto, your body burns fat for energy (and goodness, I know I have some reserves for that). Calories in/calories out is still important, but you are burning fat and not just carbs for energy. The protein is there to feed muscle; I may up my protein intake a little if I'm going to be particularly active for the day, but not too much because too much protein shows up in my blood glucose sometime later.

So far that seems to have worked. Using your muscles makes a difference in retaining/building muscle (I could do better at that). I won't claim to be perfect at following this, but I've lost weight slowly and steadily when I do. Aside from the macros, it's not a hugely precise plan. But I don't do that well with rigid eating plans anyway.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Could anyone share their weekly diet plan to lose weight and retain muscle?
Low Carb, High Fat....I lost 60 lbs. following this plan for 6 months. See the book, Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl. Pages 78 -92 spell out how to eat and manage your diabetes to maximize your health and lose weight. It is not hard, and you will not get hungry or crave anything. It is pure magic! Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts