The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 29 years old. I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I'm 6 feet tall and 170 pounds.
Can anyone give me a idea about how many calories and carbs I should eat per day and how much exercise (walking) I can do ? Thanks

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As far as carbs go everyone is different. It really depends on how well your pancreas works and what meds you are on. I am only on metformin so I have to limit my carbs to 10-15 per meal, but others may be able to handle more. The way you figure it out is test before and 2 hours after meals. Ideally you don't want to go any higher than 120-140. If you do you know you are eating too many carbs. For myself to get my fastings under 100 my after meal numbers need to be 100-110, but that is just me. As far as calories, I never count but probalbly eat somewhere between 1600-2000 most days. Most of my calories come from fat like nuts, Coconut Oil, cheese and avacados.

As for exercise, I try to walk 3-5 miles most days. Now in this heat it is difficult and if I can't get out early I will do some exercise in side like light weights, weighted bars, push ups, sit ups and some yoga

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm 29 years old. I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I'm 6 feet tall and 170 pounds.
Can anyone give me a idea about how many calories and carbs I should eat per day and how much exercise (walking) I can do ? Thanks
Welcome back, spaceman. The best advice I can give you is to follow jwags' suggestion to "test before and 2 hours after meals. Ideally you don't want to go any higher than 120-140. If you do you know you are eating too many carbs."

If you let your meter be your guide and keep your BGL under 140 at all times, you shouldn't have to worry. Be sure you get enough to eat so you won't feel hungry, and be sure to get enough fat in your meals to give you energy. Cut out carbs such as cereal grains, fruits, root vegetables, etc., so you aren't tired & lethargic. Have you had any more issues with shortness of breath?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

Shanny, thanks for your concern about my health. I was feeling fatigued about a month ago and also had symptoms of dizziness and shortness of breath. It could be because I didnt eat well and continued my daily routine of exercise. I'm feeling better now.
But even now if I walk about 2-3 miles in the morning I feel tired and feel some pains in my body later.
I started feeling better when I increased my food intake but I'm also concerned about BS levels. Do you think I should stop any kind of exercise for a week or so ?

jwags, I checked my BS levels after lunch in the last week, its under 140 throughout the whole week but once went up to 160-170. Do you think that could be a problem ? I take Metformin 500 mg + Gliimepiride 1 mg both in the morning and evening.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hi spaceman and welcome. Unless you have an injury I would try and keep up the exercise but don't over due it. It a great way to help control the BS and help reduce insulin resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts