The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my habits. Since being diagnosed diabetic I even got worse. In the last three months however I have turned it around pretty good and limited my self to one bottle a day and even being caffeine free if I can. When traveling I go for the bad though.

Today a friend told me he just read an article linking strokes and people who drink diet pop/soda. Has anyone else heard or read this? Maybe I should re-adjust my thinking and just eliminate pop altogether.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Murph, I've had literally DOZENS of people tell me the 'dangers' of diet soda/pop.

Most have either "read an article" or "saw on the internet" or simply "heard" these things.

I looked at the recent study released that is causing the media to suggest the risk of stroke. (Northern Manhattan Study of nearly 3000 adults.) It is, in my opinion, a poor and inconclusive study that suggests a possible link may exist, but this study did not take into account SEVERAL factors that could also be influential... Correlation in NO WAY equals causation.

As an example, the study didn't take into account if any of their diet soda drinkers were diabetic. And we all know that diabetics do have a higher incidence of stroke than non-diabetics. As such, if there were a majority of their drinkers that were diabetic, it would be much more likely that the diabetes would be the cause, not the diet soda.

To date, there has been NO credible evidence that the non-sugar sweeteners in diet sodas cause cancer, stroke, etc. in humans. In fact, even saccharin, which used to be thought to cause cancer (because some studies linked it in rats), was proven safe when it was shown the clinical trials did NOT apply to humans.

(The conspiracy theorist in me suggests it's probably the US Sugar Refiners funding and releasing this propaganda, LOL.)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I also haven't found a credible source for the "dangers" of diet soda, but I know pregnant women are being warned against artificial sweeteners now because of a study that showed drinking it daily could cause pre-term labor... however, as you said, correlation does not equal causation. There are many, many unknown causes of premature birth, and there are many other factors about the participants I would want to know about before taking the study seriously.

However, my instinct tells me that artificial sweeteners are probably not the healthiest thing to ingest. Considering my philosophy is to eat as close to the source and as natural as possible... my drinking diet soda makes me a huge hypocrite LOL.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I heard a snippet about diet soda being linked recently to heart diesase and stroke but they said it was preliminary study and too early to start telling people to stop. but of course it makes a common household item sounds scary and dangerous so the local news ran with it

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Although I'm not a soda person, I drink gallons of diet green tea, so I guess the issue of artificial sweeteners is still alive & well. But I'm inclined to agree with Joe . . . any common household item sounding scary and dangerous sells papers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
... even being caffeine free ...
Good question, BTW. Is caffeine related to BG or it´s free? I have an habit to drink a lot of soda also (actually Coke zero) and black coffee with aspartame. Do you think it can brings some BG related problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too drink a lot of diet soda. I guess the question is.. Diet or Fully leaded! I think the diet soda is far better.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i drink more diet pepsi wild cherry in a day then most of you drink in a week, if not more.

its the only thing that i have no intention of ever giving up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have had a stroke and I drink too much Diet Coke also I am quite lazy too witch also accounts for stroke also.

Too much of a good thing. :amen::amen:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know this will maybe sound crazy but I have had to give up diet cola because it causes my bs to go up. It will raise my bs 100 points if I drink 2 cups of it. Sugar free red bull doesn't raise me like diet cokes or diet pepsis do.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It doesnt sound crazy at all. I remember making some iced tea once and using that "equal-measure" Splenda to sweeten it while it was still hot. It tasted just like regular sweet tea...I was in heaven! I drink 4 big glasses of it...then checked my blood sugar and it was 240! Yeah....needless to say...I didnt do that again!

·
Registered
718 Posts
It doesn't sound nuts at all... every once in a while I make tea and I put probably 4 Splendas in a huge glass for iced tea... and it's soooooooo good. But one night I was drinking it after dinner and it kept my number elevated for hours. I knew it wasn't the dinner, had to be the splenda. Diet soda doesn't effect me, but powdered sweeteners do if I have more than one at a time. Hubby bought me sun crystals which is cane sugar and stevia in a little packet, worth one carb... it takes a bit to get it to dissolve, but it's good and didn't effect my numbers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mae, ditto! Same effect we must be sisters lol I have even stopped the sugar free red bull for the most part because sometimes I'll go high with it and sometimes low.....

Wd, those crystals sound like the truvia crystals I use. Truvia is the only one that doesn't raise my levels into outer space lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
i drink more diet pepsi wild cherry in a day then most of you drink in a week, if not more.

its the only thing that i have no intention of ever giving up.

LOL:D @TBP...

I drink a lot of diet drinks also. Now I have one more thing to worry about... Please no body write anything about whiskey...

bugg;)scared to breath

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
LOL:D @TBP...

I drink a lot of diet drinks also. Now I have one more thing to worry about... Please no body write anything about whiskey...

bugg;)scared to breath
(keeping very quiet over here . . . especially about brandy/sherry/other fortified beverages
)

·
Registered
663 Posts
(keeping very quiet over here . . . especially about brandy/sherry/other fortified beverages
)
OK there sharron as I will keep the secret as well :eek::)

I find that it is no secret that any soda pop will not only bloat you like a sinker to the bottom of the ocean and feel like bleh!!! and that's not just the well known strait up coke, but diet as well as don't let that fool you into thinking that it's sugar free. There are other ways that this will get you F F Fat :eek::(

as this will tell you "The diet that you have, Without the diet"

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OK there sharron as I will keep the secret as well :eek::)

I find that it is no secret that any soda pop will not only bloat you like a sinker to the bottom of the ocean and feel like bleh!!! and that's not just the well known strait up coke, but diet as well as don't let that fool you into thinking that it's sugar free. There are other ways that this will get you F F Fat :eek::(

Watch this video as this will tell you "The diet that you have, Without the diet"
Although there is research that indicates that for SOME PEOPLE, Diet Soda/Pop and SOME artificial sweeteners can cause the reaction that this man specifies, I'd be wary of believing everything this guy says...

He's doing his best to promote himself and his website, where he sells and over-prices everything under the sun ... he also quotes the ACCORD study in his blogs/articles ... which should lead most of us directly to the realm of skepticism...

He also quotes (re: the diet soda / artificial sweetener issue) only this ONE study - which studied a whopping 27 lab rats (not humans) and which although picked up by the media (as many sensational things are) is contradicting what studies on humans have shown for years...

... Just sayin' ...

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
if diet soda makes someone "gain weight", then why at i stuck at 158?

Reactions: cjmobxnc

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
if diet soda makes someone "gain weight", then why at i stuck at 158?
Exactly... the only study with humans I've seen linking diet soda to weight gain, the study acknowledged that the diet soda group also had poor eating habits... Which makes me wonder how they link it with weight-gain, when it was obviously the overall dietary intake, not the soda.

I'm sure the sugar refiners and corn refiners associations would have you believe that diet soda is bad, though... Especially the latter... considering corn farmers and refiners are funded by the US government, and considering the low-cost of HFCS ... and the fact that it's the primary sweetener in soda, I'm sure they want you to avoid diet soda altogether...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I enjoy all sorts of sugar-free sweeteners and the only one that seemed to raise my blood sugar was xylitol. Not by too much, but by enough that I stopped using it. Now I put Splenda packets in my coffee (not as good as xylitol, sadly) without any noticeable impact on my blood sugar. Well, not true - for some reason, coffee drops my blood sugar more than anything. I can sometimes fall as much as 10-15 points after a large cup of coffee. No clue why.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts