The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
The suger free stuff is ok for diabetics, but there are some health concerns (amongst some people) about the chemical sweetner Aspartame

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Safe for BGs but there are other issues from these artificial sweeteners. But a drink here and there should not be an issue.

There is another thing I've heard about here. It's called Insulin response. When we have anything that is sweet (or appears sweet) our mind tells our pancreas to secrete some insulin. Since we T2's have a limited amount of insulin secretion capacity left I don't want to waste any amount of insulin that my poor beta cells can generate.

I therefore have my diet soda's only with meals as far as possible. I think I may have taken this to an extreme but I can manage

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have used diet soda most of my life and I have no problems with it. There have been some studies that it increases cravings for sugar, but that hasn't happened with me. For me the much bigger danger are the things they tell us are healthy like whole grain bread, brown rice, fruit and cereals. I would continue to use diet drinks and ditch the other high carb food.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've never experienced issues with diet sodas; though I've read testimonies from many who have, and I personally know people who have issues. I limit to one a day, three a week.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My husband can't drink diet soda, or use any of the artificial sweeteners. He has an adverse reaction to them. Aspartame in particular, therefore we don't have any food/drinks in our home with that in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have never had a problem with diet sodas. In fact, I think it has prevented me from eating things that would have caused me problems - like candy and cookies!!! The newer sweeters do cause some people issues. (I don't remember TAB causing issues - made with sacchrine)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry is the only vice in life that i will not give up. i am not kidding.
i do not eat deserts, i do no eat snacks. ive given all of that up because of this damn disease, but i will NOT give up my diet soda.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We all have our limits - I will not give up ice cream even if it kills me. (To be fair I do now limit it to one scoop only or a Mini Magnum)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I drink about half a Stewart's root beer or a Stewart's orange 'n cream every day. Best. Stuff. Ever. The orange 'n cream is sweetened with sorbitol and aspartame and has 2g of carbs per bottle. The root beer is sweetened with aspartame and has 0g of carbs. I do worry a little bit about artificial sweeteners, so I try to avoid them except in diet soda, sugarless gum, and a sprinkling of Truvia when I eat my Wheaties.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wheaties???????
Yep, Wheaties. In the afternoon, with unsweetened almond milk, a sprinkle of Truvia, and a few almonds on top -- about 20g of carbs in total. I eat them in a coffee cup to control portion size. I can't eat them for breakfast anymore because they cause a spike in the morning, but in the afternoon they're fine. They do good things for innards and I likes 'em. :p

·
Registered
930 Posts
diet soda compared to what?

4 liters per day of Coke Zero cost me $3.00.

4 liters per day of Regular Coke cost me $3.00 plus:

28g carbs per serving x 16 serving = 448 carbs per day,

@ 4 carbs per U of Novolog,, 448 / 4 = 112 U of Novolog,

my Novolog FlexPen cost $232 per 1500 U,

$232 / 1500 = $0.155 per U of Novolog,

$0.155 x 112 U of Novolog = $17.36 per day,

$17.36 per day x 365 days per year = $6,336 per year just for Novolog to cover the Regular Cola,

Medicare Part D only covers the first $2,840 and I have no money to cover the gap.

So my choices are either:

Don't drink Regular Cola,

or

Go blind and lose my legs,

I choose to Not drink Regular Cola.

Right now I can't even afford the $3.00 per day to drink Coke Zero so my sour grapes response is that the phosphoric acid in any caffeinated soda pop leeches the minerals from one's body and in that type 2 diabetes is a nutritional wasting disease itself, a type 2 diabetic that drinks phosphoric acid is either ignorant, stupid, or an addict.

But being an addict, if and when I have an extra $90.00 per month to waste on diet cola my attitude may change. . :p

ColaJim

Reactions: NotBubba and Shanny

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I do enjoy diet coke - always have... HOWEVER...

I am one of the people that DOES have an insulin-response to diet drinks. Whether it's a Diet Coke, Fresca, Diet Pepsi, Diet Whatever... it doesn't seem to matter... If I drink a diet soda WITHOUT a meal, I will find myself craving carbohydrate in about half an hour... (Serious cravings... it's nasty.)

I also found that while drinking diet soda I was having a little more difficult time with weight loss when I was overweight. With both carb-cravings and stalled weight-loss it's pretty easy to deduce that insulin is the culprit here...

When I reduced the amount I drink, switching to spring water, I found that my cravings for carbs were lessened, and with less insulin in my system weight loss was much easier.

I still have it, but now I ONLY drink it with a meal. Preferably some meal where I'm having some carbohydrate (I only eat about 15-20g with lunch or dinner meals, NONE at breakfast, and typically 10-15g or less with snacks) and that seems to do the trick. I do limit myself to one per day maximum, and often don't have any.

But like Eric (TheBackPages) I'm not likely to EVER give it up. I just adjust HOW, HOW MUCH and WHEN I drink it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts