The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yup. Just gave them up over a year and a half ago. I had a certified Dt Mt Dew addiction too. I drank more than 6 a day.

They say even the diet can lead to weight gain. Hubby gave it up in April and lost 9 lbs.

I only drink water now with the occasional Crystal Light packet, coffee, and iced tea when dining out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I need to quit. I didn't drink soda and hated diet soda ... until I got addicted because I was missing my sweetened tea. Forced myself to drink diet coke and acquire a taste for it. How dumb is that?

Now I need to quit.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sorry, I was never addicted to the soda; just the caffeine. I still can't get off it but I have reduced it considerably by going to water, water, water. Now they tell us coffee is ok in moderation.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I havent latched onto diet drinks. I occasionally drink coke light with 1/3 of water in the glass and ice and I cant stand it anymore.

I recently got away with a virgin mojito and a wee/single drop of syrup in it, but that would depend on the restaurant and how well they listen.

I drink max one or two decaf cappucinnos and the rest of the time spring water, which a lot of us get free off the mountain, just up the road from me.:)

When it comes to drinks, D can get real exciting.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I went 30 years without ever drinking anything but water. Then a few months ago, my chronic GERD decided to come back and I found that diet sprite really helped me deal with the symptoms. Now I drink a can every day or two...

I want to wean myself off now that I have figured out what was causing the GERD (egg whites!) but am finding that it is harder that I thought it would be...

My plan is to run through the last cans and then wean myself off using carbonated water. I'm hopeful that will work since I think I find myself needing the carbonation to calm my stomach, and it seems to be less about the sweet flavor.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Everlovin' keeps club soda around all the time for mixer & I've discovered the delights of a lightly carbonated non-sweetened beverage. Going to have to start restocking his inventory before he catches me at it . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Never was a soda drinker, regular or diet. Two cups of coffee in the morning, water and herbal tea durning the day, an occasional beer in the evening (very rare), more water and a nightcap.

Seltzer water with SF DaVinci or Torani syrups is as close as I come to a diet soda. And I don't do that very often.

·
Senior Moment
143 Posts
How have you successfully removed them from your diet?
Maybe I should ask why have such a goal? Us diabetics have limited food choices, and diet soda is exactly what is needed by anyone seeking zero carbs. As for the observation that diet soda causes weight gain, please use common sense about how zero calories is stored in your body. Cheers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I should ask why have such a goal?
auto:

I have high blood pressure. Up to about 6 months after diagnosis I was not drinking any kind of soft drink. My blood pressure had gone back to normal. Unfortunately, I began drinking diet soft drinks about 7 months after diagnosis and subsequently my blood pressured went back to high numbers. The high sodium in soft drinks
can wreck havoc on someone who is already suffering with high blood pressure. It was not a good choice for me.

I am not sure about your reference to weight gain since I do not have that problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm certainly not arguing with your results, or that diet soda is good for you, but most diet soda (at least those I drink) are not high sodium. Diet Mountain Dew, for example, has 35mg per 8 ounces, which qualifies it as a "very low sodium" product.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I started drinking diet sodas a few weeks after diagnosis (1 a day at most). I tried the stevia all natural ones first but they were a poor substitute for real coke (not diet). About a month later I got to were I couldnt tell if diet coke was diet. But I kept buying the more natural brands anyway. Now I prefer the natural (more expensive) stevia and erythritrol sweetned sodas. I acctually like the aftertaste now, the standard diet drinks have a chemical taste to them that I don't like. Its not the sweetner taste, its something else almost salty and metalic, I only started to notice it about a month ago. Its wierd how my taste keep changing in this area.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I drink mostly water, ice tea, black and green, but the occasional A&W diet root beer is a nice diversion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts