The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have had to use my back up meter (a BD Logic) because I ran out of strips for my One-Touch. So, I buy the test strips through the internet for the BD, and I use this for a back up.

In any case, the past couple of days using the BD meter, my bg numbers seem to be EXTREMELY better, or lower, than with my One-Touch. Now I know meters can differ, and I take into account the 10/20% adjustment that can occur, but this is a really big difference in numbers. We are talking like 60-70 points lower than the One-Touch. Should I not look a gift horse in the mouth, or did my diabetes suddenly catch up to my WOE?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Thats really hard to say. I would if you can afford it a side kick meter from wal-mart $20 and comes with 50 strips and a check solution. Its a throwaway, but I use it exclusively and never had an odd reading when compared to other meters.

So, I have had to use my back up meter (a BD Logic) because I ran out of strips for my One-Touch. So, I buy the test strips through the internet for the BD, and I use this for a back up.

In any case, the past couple of days using the BD meter, my bg numbers seem to be EXTREMELY better, or lower, than with my One-Touch. Now I know meters can differ, and I take into account the 10/20% adjustment that can occur, but this is a really big difference in numbers. We are talking like 60-70 points lower than the One-Touch. Should I not look a gift horse in the mouth, or did my diabetes suddenly catch up to my WOE?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am so glad I read this !! I am having a REALLY bad day . MY test strips are out, and since medicaid MADE me pick a plan, now the plan WONT pay for the strips I used to get ... : ( the pharmist said somthing astri somthing ..... that the insurance would pay for , SO NOW I have to get a new meter, and get ordered test strips, basically BE OUT of testing for atleast 2 days. !! Thats not good when my last reading was 366 !!! I NEED to know my numbers, so this walmart meter maybye my answer atleast till the insurance straightens out ! THANK YOU . I am having panic attacks all day over every little thing, doesent help that I am PMS'n So I am scared to go to walmart right now, I will try to calm down some first my stupid dr refuses to up my anxiety meds even thow I HAVE to have higher strength !!!!! I am just going to have TO FIND A DR WHO will WRITE ME the aniexity meds, and still use this other dr. for diabetes and high bllod pressure meds. they will know of ewach other, but I am sick of NOT getting what I NEED because they wanna play GOD ! I kinda KNOW what I need. I am not doing them to get high. I am just trying to keep some of my sanity .. lol try ' ~~ Anyway thanxs for the walmart tester, I will go get that today . also justtalked with liberty medical , ?? DONT know if thats good or bad, I am fixing to do a search on them .

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Other things that you can do to help with the anxiety, GABA, lots of it, KAVA going sparingly at first this stuff is strong and knock you on your butt if you take to much. Ashweghanda calms the adrenalin response to anxiety, Holy Basil will do the same. L-Theanine also works well. You may notice more from the GABA faster than anything else. Vitamine Shoppe carries it. Good luck with the meter, they have never failed me, thats all I use.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My insurance doesn't pay for any of my strips so I buy them on Amazon for about 50-60% off. You can also buy them on E-bay, just check expiration date on the strips. I used to use One Touch and switched to Bayer Contour. When I first started using the USB meter I noticed it was a lot lower than the One Touch. The Bayer matches up pretty well with my HbA1c too. Also it uses a lot smaller blood drop.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jwags, was it a big difference in bg numbers between the One Touch and your Bayer meter? I did buy the test strips for the BD meter on Amazon and they ended up costing about the same as a copay for the prescription One Touch (I think I bought 100 strips or so). I did this because the One Touch strips are very expensive (even on the internet) to pay out of pocket. I don't necessarily like to use different meters, but I had no choice since I will run out of strips every month from my prescription.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, there can be a large difference between meters. To put it simply, there are junk meters out there that shouldn't be out there. However, even the best meter can run into issues. Are you able to test the meter? (Most meters come with a glucose solution that has a precise amount of glucose in it, and should always give a reading very close to what is listed on the solution). After time some meters start acting up, become damaged, subjected to extreme temperatures, etc.

One Touch is good meter, I use to have one. I've never used the BD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts