The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from my Doc;

"The CGM (both libre and dexcom) measures interstitial blood glucose, which is slightly different from capillary blood glucose (measured by finger stick). The interstitial blood sugar can lag behind capillary blood glucose by approximately 15min, so you have to watch the trend arrow. Additionally, it is acceptable to have up to an ~15% difference between fingerstick and CGM values."

I read the CGM values are off by large amounts of Vitamin C. But stay accurate with use of Acetaminophen, which finger stick values are off.

·
Administrator
2,399 Posts
The measurement of blood glucose levels sometimes seems more like an art than a science even with just finger sticks.

As CGMs become more prevalent I’m guessing we’ll learn more about the differences between their readings and finger sticks.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
The measurement of blood glucose levels sometimes seems more like an art than a science even with just finger sticks.
I agree, but I'm so grateful for modern technology. I remember 40 something years ago when diabetics had to test their urine with strips and that was the latest technology. My father-in-law had to gauge his insulin needs on information that was hours old. We've come a long way and hopefully will go farther and farther.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree, but I'm so grateful for modern technology. I remember 40 something years ago when diabetics had to test their urine with strips and that was the latest technology. My father-in-law had to gauge his insulin needs on information that was hours old. We've come a long way and hopefully will go farther and farther.
And hopefully less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts