The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not a professional in the medical field, so these are my own problems with response to drugs, not necessarily everyone else's. The problem is I take Atacand (an ACE inhibitor if I understand correctly), but it is only slightly effective (if at all) in lowering blood pressures (160/95 range). Diuretics, were very effective at lowering, but caused blood glucose readings to be crazy -- no trending and no equilibrium. Glucose testing about 5-6 times a day. Stopped that and glucose levels are back to as normas as possible for type 1 since 1986.

Then trien Amlodipine which did not reduce BP and caused restless leg syndrome along with a "hot" overall feeling. Couldn't rest well at all.

Now using Metoprolol (beta-blocker) but have found that I can experience blood sugar lows and not even have the usual shaking, sweating, weakness at early onset that signals me to intake glucose. While that might sound great, I awoke last night drenched in sweat and confused -- well into more severe indications and still no usual shaking, just very weak and confused.

Fourth try and have not found a drug that does not have serious side effects for type 1. There are so many out there, and I apologize knowing that different meds affect people differently. Still, I want to take advantage of others' experience and knowledge base -- is there something out there that actually works and does not affect diabetes adversely? I also have to avoid hypertension meds that cause ED since I have Peyronie's disease.

Thank you in advance,

reido

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Adieu to Metoprolol

In follow-up, I had another office visit today to try to find a med that I can tolerate. I mentioned to the Doc that I felt depressed and it may be time to start a mild dose of anti-depressive. Doc said I should start feeling better now that Im off the Metoprolol since it causes depression.

Great! Low blood sugar with no symptoms and depression. All I can say is, watch out for yourself because no one else is going to.

Now on to the next trial med for hypertension.... Lisoprinol. Hopefully this one will work without side effects.

reido

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
reido said:
Great! Low blood sugar with no symptoms and depression. All I can say is, watch out for yourself because no one else is going to.
That's an understatement for most. Don't you automatically get a write-up from the Pharmacy about all the drugs you get including side-effects?? I thought that was an absolute. Well all drugs have side-effects of some kind and none of them are really good for us in the long run.

Lisinopril

Two years ago, my GP said since I was a Diabetic for so long that I should be on an ACE(to protect my kidneys) and a Statin(to protect my heart).

My Endo says my heart and kidneys are both Good and so is my blood pressure(except if I have an Anxiety/Panic attack...which was only twice), so I don't need to be on either.

So to make them both Happy, I just went on an ACE...Altace(Ramipril). The only symptoms(touch wood) that I've noticed is when I'm bending or picking something up, I'll get some bad dizziness when I get up(I have to hang onto something for about 10 seconds). I also noticed more weakness/tiredness(like I need that). Ha!...and just last evening a dry cough. I didn't connect it until I noticed your thread and looked up Altace again. I thought the cough was supposed to come at the beginning of use. But no effect on my sugars thankfully. I have Pred. to do that sometimes. ;)

Altace Side Effects | Drugs.com

This site popped up when I looked up Lisinopril. It's just a bunch of Mountainbikers(non-diabetics)talking about different blood pressure pills. I was interested in their view-point....on the meds. (I'd rather ride a motorcycle). ;)

High Blood Pressure - Mtbr.com Forums

I wish you far better luck on Lisinopril Reido. Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok So Far

Lisinopril is okay so far. Effective on HBp, now 120/75 range. A little bit of shallow cough and very drowsy feeling, but so far better than the others. Thanks for the websites. Tells me that if mountain bikers have trouble with HBp meds, no wonder diabetics have difficulty.

My friend at work takes Altace.

reido

1 - 4 of 4 Posts