The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever experienced digestive issues with their diabetes? I had severe digestive issues about a year ago (when all my numbers went haywire) and after 2-1/2 months of explosive diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, lots of digestive "noises" I was finally treated for a parasite and things got better. I was taking lots of probiotics during that time to help increase the good flora in my guts, and now just use one probiotic daily to help keep my digestive enzymes and such in check. Recently (since the weekend) I am having "noises" again (sounds like someone is in their moaning and groaning and like someone turned on a hose) and alot of gas (not just flatulence; more so burping and belching). I am still taking probiotic, may actually up it by one extra pill a day while this is going on, but I've had a few bouts of fast "stomach emptying" in last couple of days. I don't know if I have a virus or if this should be happening. I have felt fine up to this point with change in diet and insulin and such. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Could this be part of "Atkins flu", even after almost a month now of being on insulin? Any help here would be appreciated as I am so tired of researching everything that goes on with my body. It took all my energy today to get ready and go to work. I just want to lay down and sleep. I just ate two boiled eggs for breakfast, and unfortunately no fat with it. Have no idea what I will eat for lunch since I didn't pack anything and I must go out and get something. I would probably opt for a salad, but I'm afraid that might be too harsh on the digestive sytem right now. I had a shrimp salad for dinner last night and it just made me feel extremely bloated and overly full. HELP! Thanks.:(:pout:

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I took 40 grams of Hi-Maize 260 a resistant starch for almost 2 months when first Dxed and made all the difference in the world. I am currently taking 40g a day along with L-Carnosine and 6 Acidolphilis caps a day.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took 40 grams of Hi-Maize 260 a resistant starch for almost 2 months when first Dxed and made all the difference in the world. I am currently taking 40g a day along with L-Carnosine and 6 Acidolphilis caps a day.
What is Hi-Maize and what does it do? I would imagine since it has Maize in the name it has something to do with corn? I take a probiotic daily that has 66 billion different enzymes, strains, whatever you call them and it has worked quite well for me. However, I did indulge in some really bad carbs yesterday and I think my system is revolting on me for it now. I had a moment of weakness, and I gave in :( I really need to resist more when I have those moments. :pout: Just sometimes you feel a little deprived (not much most of the time), and I typically can forego bad carbs, but something got into me yesterday and I gave in. Oh well, spilled milk and all right? Back on track today. :cool:

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Resisitant Starch is a starch or form of fiber that resists digestion in your stomach and small intestine. It travels to your large intestine where it is fermented by bacteria. It is the by products of this fermentation that are beneficial to your body. They are SFA's short chain fatty acids. Lots of clinical trials associated with its benefits.

I buy mine thru Honeyville farms. You can Google Hi-Maize 260 and go to the clinical trials page. The theory is that your body becomes less interested in carbs while it already has a readily available source of energy in the SFA's.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will certainly look into that. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I am interested in learning how to use this product. Do you bake with it or add it to foods? Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I would definitely try stopping the probiotics for a while and see what happens. They can produce those symptoms. Actually, if they work you shouldn't need them any more. That is because the bacteria once established REPRODUCE in your gut and there should not be any need to keep adding more every day. This of course represents a serious problem for the manufacturers of these things as to how to make a continuous profit.

There could be another issue - especially of bloating is among your symptoms. I don't remember the technical name, but it consists of the good bacteria from your lower gut coming up too high into your upper small intestine. Here, they are definitely not "good" bacteria (because they don't belong there) and cause various problems.

This could be your case especially after taking so many probiotics. These pills are "engineered" to supposedly survive your stomach acids and make it to your large intestine before losing their protective coating releasing the bacteria inside. Sounds pretty hit-and-miss to me.

Anyway, the treatment for that is "enteric-coated peppermint oil". I found it under the brand name "Pepogest". I don't have any of these issues, but my wife has had bloating after eating for a long time and reports that it helped her a lot.

Good luck!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I do bake with it, but mostly I drink it. 40g mixed in a glass of water, allow it settle over night. The soluble starch will dissolve, the RS will settle to the bottom. Pour off the water, I then add 30-40g of flaxseed and more water, drink it down.

I am interested in learning how to use this product. Do you bake with it or add it to foods? Thank you for your patience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts