The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear, last weekend we went to have dinner at my in-laws house and I was befuddled when dinner was served. On the table I saw the following items:

Roasted turkey (Yummy!)
Mashed potato
Corn
Stuffing made with white bread
Jello with pineapple and carrot (not sugar free jello)
Gravy

LOL, not a single thing except the turkey to have for dinner!! So, rather than make a scene, I had a little bit of each and on Monday morning my FBG was over 200!!!! Yikes!

I guess we'll be declining further invitations and cooking for them at our house instead, LOL.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep my own cooking works best!

For work functions I often bring an entree I know I can handle. People have tried to accommodate me but I just tell them not to bother now. (they tend to assume I mean b/c I use insulin).

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I always insist on bringing something I can eat and then take very small helpings of some of the offerings and just one taste of each and then push them around and it never offends anyone...or, if so, no one has mentioned it to me. T'giving was such an occasion and I remarked on how good each dish tasted as I took a bite. Not all, but enough it appeared that way. I usually take green beans or a large salad. I insist or just do it as an addition to the meal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, for those who don't know my MIL, taking a dish would be a disaster!! If I showed up with a salad or any kind of dish, her remark would be "My cooking and meal planning isn't good enough for you?" and it's just not worth it.

I think she thought she was doing well, but....................

Dinner at our house from now on. Hubby says he will explain to her why. If she'd like to contribute to a meal at our house, she is more than welcome to.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Oh, yeah. Tricky territory!

How would your mother-in-law respond if you asked her to add tossed salad or steamed green veggies to her menu?

My in-laws did ask, fortunately. And that's pretty much what I told them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Would it work if you brought a small, individual size tossed salad from home and/or tell her you have "food allergies" (which is sort of true as many diabetics don't do well with white bread, white potatoes etc.)?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If I am going to visit relatives or others for dinner I try to bring a carb friendly dish to play safe. If I don't know what will be served I will eat ahead of time . I think I would have just filled up on the turkey and ditched the other things. I always carry low carb bran crackers and cheese and Atkins Bars in my purse. When all else fails I know I have something to nibble on.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Oh dear, last weekend we went to have dinner at my in-laws house and I was befuddled when dinner was served. On the table I saw the following items:

Roasted turkey (Yummy!)
Mashed potato
Corn
Stuffing made with white bread
Jello with pineapple and carrot (not sugar free jello)
Gravy

LOL, not a single thing except the turkey to have for dinner!! So, rather than make a scene, I had a little bit of each and on Monday morning my FBG was over 200!!!! Yikes!

I guess we'll be declining further invitations and cooking for them at our house instead, LOL.
Invite them to eat at your house and you can have fun explaining the different foods that you can eat. Next time they invite you to eat and see if they listened to you. Good luck with MIL!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It just hit me, perfect your mashed cauli and serve a dish of that if they like mashed potatoes! I did a huge casserole of it for T'givng at the house of a friend who caters and she's been making it a lot lately. I added a lot of sour cream, butter, and cheddar on top and baked it...salt and pepper of course. Then one of the guests called later on wanting to get my recipe just because it was so good!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am newly diagnosed and just a couple of people know I have diabetes. My co worker made cupcakes and passed them out. I did not want to offend him so I took one. My glucose levels were 271 that night. I had to eat it, he was like how was it the whole time and it was delicious!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I am newly diagnosed and just a couple of people know I have diabetes. My co worker made cupcakes and passed them out. I did not want to offend him so I took one. My glucose levels were 271 that night. I had to eat it, he was like how was it the whole time and it was delicious!
Maybe next time you can just take a bite. This is one of those instances where eating it hurts you a lot more than declining it hurts him.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I know a lot of people are quieter about their diabetes than I am, but I have no problem saying something like, "that looks delicious! Unfortunately I'm diabetic and have to pass."

Even people who don't understand anything about diabetes seem to know that desserts and sugar aren't things a diabetic can eat.

I was today in an olive oil and balsamic vinegar tasting room. Walls of various oils and vinegars. A lot of the balsalmics had fruit involved and I commented I wanted to veer away from them because I'm diabetic. She said, "oh - diabetics love these because they have no sugar ..." and went on with all the things one can do with them (put in soda for drinks, etc.) I asked for nutritional info, and the fruit ones were 9 carbs/tsp. I bought some others (a lemon-infused one to die for, a few herb ones) and she asked me questions about diabetes - was actually very interested.

Personally, I've had not a single negative experience being open about my diabetes - or else I'm obtuse as h^ll which also works :)

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 12 of 12 Posts