The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made hamburger steak, brown gravy, frozen spinach ,one medium new potato grilled with the garlic chz biscuits. It was sure a hit with hubby and I love the George Forman grill. So does this sound ok for a LCHF I am real new to all this never cooked spinach until a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Well I made hamburger steak, brown gravy, frozen spinach ,one medium new potato grilled with the garlic chz biscuits. It was sure a hit with hubby and I love the George Forman grill. So does this sound ok for a LCHF
I took the liberty of looking at your other posts and I see your husband is the one who is diabetic - type 2. The only low carb items in this meal are the spinach and hamburger steak without the gravy or a bun. A LCHF diet consists of no bread, beans, fruit, potatoes, milk, sweet potatoes, rice, pasta, peas, corn, anything with corn in it like cornstarch, cornmeal, etc. Wheat flour also has a lot of carbs, and gravy is thickened with flour or cornstarch, so that is out. Here is a link to a very good low carb gravy recipe. http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/7518-gravy.html I see from one of your other posts that you eat planters party peanuts. Peanuts are a legume, not a nut, so your husband should probably not be eating them.

What he can eat is meat, poultry and fish (all unbreaded), eggs, most veggies except the starchy ones like the ones mentioned above. He can have real mayonnaise, real butter, real (not processed) cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, almonds, unsweetened almond milk and pork rinds.

Most of us bake with almond flour, which is ground almonds, some of us grind our own.

This is what we had for dinner last night... I seasoned a pot roast and browned it in butter, then added water and simmered until tender. I fried some bacon, then fried some drained, canned green beans in the bacon drippings. I made faux mashed potatoes, and the gravy above, only instead of chicken or beef broth, I used 2 cups of the broth from the roast. For dessert we had Shanny's pumpkin pie - we like it crustless. You can eat LCHF and still have very good meals.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Well I made hamburger steak, brown gravy, frozen spinach ,one medium new potato grilled with the garlic chz biscuits. It was sure a hit with hubby and I love the George Forman grill. So does this sound ok for a LCHF I am real new to all this never cooked spinach until a couple weeks ago.

Look into the CarbQuick biscuit mix, makes good biscuits and does real well as a thickener in gravies. Boil red potatoes the day before, split in half add butter and a few sprinkles of vinegar and refrigerate over night. The next day grill a few. Some of the starch in the potatoes will retrograde into resistant starch making them less impactful on your BG. You can also make mashed potatoes the day before, be sure to add plenty of fat and refriderate for 24 hrs. Only reheat them, try to avoid recooking.

You can also substitute rock hard green bananas for potatoes in most dishes including french fries, my fav. Your husband will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the fried bananas and potatoes. Green Bananas have a high level of resisitant starch.

Hope this helps.

As always test his BG levels when introducing new foods to be sure they are acceptable to his BG goals.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that really burst my bubble :( the brown gravy I used was a pkg that said 3 carbs and the biscuit was from carb quick so am I still giving him too many carbs this way? I am trying to make it as painless as possible for him. Take something good from him find something good to replace it so he don't give up. I have watched several YouTube videos on low carb cooking that have helped a lot .I have also looked through several of this forums recipes. As a matter of fact I will be making the coconut pie from the forum for Christmas :) Is the LCHF the same as Adkins? I tell u this D is so confusing :(

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Your doing wonderful

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Again you are doing wonderful. The only validation you need is his BG level at 1 hr PP and 2 Hr PP, 1 hr should be close to his peak, and 2 hr PP you should see his BG dropping. Not all people have this type of curve but it is a place to start. Non-D's usually have their peak in 1 hr PP and return to their baseline by 2 hrs PP.

I wish my wife would cook for me, its the other way around in my house.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey MCS thanks for the advise but I am wondering what kind of reading is acceptable at the 1 and 2 hour post meal readings. He is already running higher than he should 140-150. So an idea like 20 point higher than before eating or 30?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Normal is 70-120 as far as I have read. The human has developed to be between 70-90, when you reach 70 your liver dumps glucose, when you reach 90 your pancreas dumps insulin. Thats a pretty simplistic statement and lag times, response times all come into play along with digestion. Keep feeding him like you are and you will see a gradual decline in his baseline, it takes time. If after a period of time you see no results, then consider reducing carbs even further or increasing meds, which ever is more comfortable to your husband.

I started out very similar to your husband, Dxed at 350 after eating no carbs for a week. I managed a 5.6 A1C in several months eating just the things you are feeding your husband. I later gave up on most things made from potatoes, rice, wheat, and grains. I still use the CarbQuick, and other lowcarb baking mixes but only on occasion.

Try some chicken pot pie with the carb quick. Boil a cook store bought chicken in a small amount of chicken broth with some veggies. Make a batch of the cheese Biscuits with the CarbQuick to lay on top. Thicken the chicken with a rue made from butter, carbquick and heavy cream. Its wonderful.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The carb quick should be OK. The main thing on some of these mixes is to watch for portion size. Many of them are quite small so we end up overeating them. I have never used Carb Qucik but use Coconut flour quite often for my cheese biscuits. My bg always stays in the upper 80's. Check out some low carb sites for alternatives to gravy mixes. I often make my own and thicken with a little Resistant starch, like Hi Maize. Two of my favorite sites are

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

Most diabetics aim for 120-140 at 2 hours after meals, but that won't happen overnight. I try to keep my meals close to 10 carbs per meal. Usually at lunch time I can eat more and breakfast I have to eat under 5 to keep good bgs.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You didn't mention the biscuit and gravy were low carb, so you did a better job than I at first thought.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whew thanks Gizmo and Thanks Jwags for the links since until 4 wks ago my only vegetable to cook was corn I need all the help I can get with side dishes :) I am still not sure about the post meal reading. Let's say he reads a 130 before he eats and then a 150 an hour after eating is that 20 point change acceptable? Since he is not running in the normal range even before he eats I'm not sure. Last night an hour after eating he ran 155 a 20 pt spike from before eating

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Side dishes are my biggest problem too, especially when potatoes spike mine and my husband's bgs too much. But I have found if you add butter or bacon or sausage drippings to veggies, they are pretty darn good. We like cabbage cooked in bacon drippings, and broccoli or cauliflower in cheese sauce are pretty darn good. For cheese sauce, I melt some cheese in the low carb gravy, or just melt cheese on top of the cooked veggies.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering: If you really don't like cauliflower is it much better as faux potatoes and faux rice I have never even bought cauliflower before or any of the other veggies that are good for you. I am just glad my hubby has an open mind about trying different foods because I sure don't have always been very picky about what I eat. But I will try the cauliflower on him if y'all don't think it taste too much like what it is lol

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The cauli-rice is a wonderful vehicle for whatever dishes you want to serve over it, and it takes on the taste of your main dish. The cauli-mash is great, after all, what doesn't taste good loaded with butter and a spot of cream cheese? :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just wondering: If you really don't like cauliflower is it much better as faux potatoes and faux rice I have never even bought cauliflower before or any of the other veggies that are good for you. I am just glad my hubby has an open mind about trying different foods because I sure don't have always been very picky about what I eat. But I will try the cauliflower on him if y'all don't think it taste too much like what it is lol
My husband eats pretty much anything, but for years and years he has said he hates cauliflower. After diabetes, I made the faux mashed potatoes and told him what it was, but made sure I had gravy there because I know he wouldn't eat it without. He said he would give it a try. Well, I have made it a lot since then, and I make a whole head of it, and I don't eat that much of it because I save the majority of it for him. There is only him and me, but 'somehow' it manages to disappear mighty quick. I think he'd eat the whole thing if he didn't have to save some for me.

It does remind you a lot of mashed potatoes when it is topped with gravy and is mighty good. I have found after cooking if you put the cauliflower through the food processor or a blender instead of mashing with a potato masher, it is even more like mashed spuds.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
A 20 pt rise from dinner I would suspect is quite acceptable.

An easy thing I do at times is I purchase as many different veggies as I can, peppers, onions, celery, broccoli, green beans, zuchini, yellow squash, etc. I then cut all of it up and put it in a 2 gallon size ziplock. Dinner time I take out a few handfuls, get it frying in some coconut oil or butter, then add any type of meat you like, shrimp, beef, pork, chicken, etc. The nice part about this is you can add what ever dressing you like and he can add what ever he likes. I like red hot on mine wife likes worchestershire sauce. We often pour this over a bed of cauli rice, but she has grown tired of it lately so we have been microwaving ready mix coleslaw with butter. The coleslaw shreds work really well as a pasta noodle, nuke a bag full with butter for about 5 minutes, let cool. Put a layer of maz. cheese on your plate then the coleslaw, then your fav pasta sauce, top with more cheese.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also eat the stuff like all others except which contains sugar or sweetness. But i want to eat some sweets. Can anyone tell me that if I eat just a little bit sweets then it will badly effect my diabetes or not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also eat the stuff like all others except which contains sugar or sweetness. But i want to eat some sweets. Can anyone tell me that if I eat just a little bit sweets then it will badly effect my diabetes or not?
Kenneth you can have the real sugar but you have to count it in your carbohydate total. If you are having cake make sure you know the serving size and the carbs for it. (1 carb serving is 15grams) Also you dont want to do this often because it is not healthy food. Hope this helps. Jan

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I called the insurance company yesterday because they aren't covering test strips. They told me that we have the wrong machine ( the one the dr gave us in the office) So I ordered the correct one. Then she gave me a phone number for my husband to call said it was like a nurse that could help him understand D. I am guessing that is going to be some type of class thing he will have to take.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts