Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Dinner

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shanny 
#1 ·
I put some bbq chicken in my rotisserie cooker last night. I ate with some baked beans. My glucose level was 310. I do not get it. I did not fry anything. Why was it so high? I had one cupcake at work from a coworker. Could it have been just that one little cupcake that caused the high numbers. That was at 10 am. I ate dinner about 6 pm and checked my numbers at 8 pm.

#4 ·
Well it was probaby a combination of the cupcake, BBQ sauce and the Baked beans. Normal BBQ sauce has around 14 carbs per 2 Tablespoons. Also normal baked beans have sugar and starch in them which can add to the carbs depending on your portion. I use Walden Farms 0 carb BBQ sauce and get no spike at all. When I eat beans I eat a very small portion and usually pair them with a lot of fat.

Reactions: Miss_Blue
#5 ·
Brand, have you gone to and read through the bloodsugar 101 website? BBQ sauce, baked beans, and a cupcake? These are all big time no-no's unless your system can handle all those carbs at one time. Also, your other post of eating out of a machine...seriously? I typically pack a lunch for work. Today it is a can of albacore white tuna with mayo and a small apple. That's it. Breakfast was some turkey sausage sticks and a colby jack cheese stick. Even though breakfast was very low carb and higher fat, I was still 157 before eating lunch. I would have been way above 300 if I ate the BBQ sauce, baked beans, and a cupcake. You really need to investigate the foods that are LC and test to see what sets you high.

#7 ·
Foxl, I think that beans for you provided some missing protein since you were not eating meat. You must receive protein from other sources if you choose to live a vegan life. Or, are you being sarcastic in the remark of did beans get you to where you are today? I thought everything for you was good? Hoping it was just sarcasm. Beans for us carnivores are first, starchy, high in sugar, and make you very gassy! Peeeewwwww!

#8 ·
sound yummy... and spikey, yeah =)

BBQ sauce will definitely get me, as will beans... but beans get me slowly. They do take at least a couple hours to spike me - especially in a protein-rich meal like chicken dinner.

The other possibility is any leftover sugars on your hands... Whenever I get a reading that much higher than I expect, I re-wash, rinse well, and re-test. I've had "false-highs" from latent sugar molecules on my fingers in the past... If you washed well, then it was certainly the food...

#9 ·
naynay, I always ate eggs, and dairy. But the message I kept getting was that beans were HEALTHIER, lower in those evil animal FATS. Beans are just as starchy for all of us.

Beans did not make me gassy -- at least, after a few years, I actually adapted to them. Which may mean I developed gut flora to digest them FASTER. New, and improved, huh?

Yes, I suspect eating such a high-starch diet at minimum led me to an earlier diagnosis ... and, perhaps even one I might have avoided.

#10 ·
My go-to (regular) winter pot of food was beans. It was a potpourri of beans (cannellini, lima, kidney, garbanzo, more) with diced carrots, celery, squash, can of Trader Joe's corn, tomatoes, medium hot fresh salsa - a =huge= pot and I'd keep it in the frig, adding things to it all the time, and eating substantive bowls of it.

Man, when I think of the way I used to eat ...

#11 ·
I fry stuff all the time - in butter, even. I just don't bread anything. Diabetes is kind of a head scratcher at first because you're taught all these nutritional rules your whole life about fat and calories that have virtually no application to diabetes.

The barbecue sauce, the cupcake, and the beans would have spiked me up into the 300s, too. That's a totally normal blood sugar reaction given what you ate. Make some really good non-starchy vegetables to go along with your barbecue, like grilled asparagus or a broccoli salad.

#13 · (Edited)
I fry stuff all the time too, in coconut oil or lotsa butter. I even bread it. My breading mixture is equal parts of almond flour, wheat gluten and fresh grated parmesan, all mixed together and pulsed in the mini food processor until it's fine & uniform granules. It's a takeoff on Brandi's Breading which we discovered online last year sometime. And if you're a gravy person, these pan crispies make good gravy too, just like the old carby ones did.

Here's a broccoli salad recipe from our recipes board . . . tweak it however you like. For lower carbs, leave out the grapes/raisins. We eat this stuff by the gallon during summer hot days.

And here's another: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/4459-broccoli-salad.html#post53909

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.