The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As John indicates, it's a very rare dietitian/nutritionist/CDE who will actually depart from the party line which recommends far too many carbs. Your solution is fine - just walk away. Mine was to just not bother meeting with them to begin with, and John's recommendation to smile & nod until you're out of the office works well too.

Most of us learned early on that we're on our own on this journey, which is why this forum came into being. Somebody has to tell the truth about these things if the professionals and official agencies won't/can't do it, so here we are - trying to let people know diabetes can be controlled and is not the progressive disorder the medical community tells us it is (of course it progresses if people follow the advice prescribed by docs and the ADA!). If we keep our blood sugar under 140 (7.8) at all times, the odds of developing diabetic complications drops way down.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you check the sponsors list of the ADA, you'll understand it better. There are many big industries that contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars to them, and it buys a lot of political clout. These industries have a vested interest in keeping us sick enough to need meds and other supplies/equipment. They'll be SOL when diabetics discover high blood sugar can be controlled to a great extent with diet.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you have to pay for this out-of-pocket, then you should have the authority to make the decision. If you think you might benefit enough to make it worth the money, go ahead. As VeeJay says, they might surprise us & suggest something actually helpful. But the odds are high that they'll follow the party line and prescribe carbs, carbs and more carbs - exactly the opposite foods needed for a diabetic way-of-eating.

If I were you, I'd skip it . . . hang onto your money! On the other hand, it's good practice for all the nodding & smiling we have to do to keep our doctors happy! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts