The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Everyone....

Rosa got me thinking about this this week when she mentioned that she has a family get together this weekend..... I have one too on Sunday....Since I'm cooking I am making tacos for everyone :) I won't eat the shells but no one will know I'm low carbing which is perfect as I'd rather catch up with people then on what I am and am not eating....

So my question is:

When you're invited to a get together (or host your own) what is your surefire dish that you know won't spike your BG but not everyone needs to know it is a special dish...if ya know what I mean!

G

·
well for me I don't like going for any vegetable carb dish... I look for the pasta dishes or lentil dishes mostly. I always ask what the rice is if it's served. So I fill plate with non starch vegies a small portion of meat and small portion of a carb dish. It's hard when you go out though as you don't know what is in everything. I can get high BGLs as a result. I think I mentioned on another posting that I went to a work seminar and it was all high GI carb options and that was it... I wound up asking the chef to make me lunch... he made a vegetarian pasta dish for me with lemon in it... it was very nice and was kind to my BGLs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The surefire dishes that never raise my bgs are things like Stuffed Bannana or Regular Bell Peppers, Egg Frittatas, Chicken Parmesan ( made with almond flour instead or regular flour), Eggplant parmesan, Beef Stew, BBQ pork made with splenda instead of sugar. You can almost make any of your favorite dishes low carb and D friendly with a few tweaks. Most people can't taste the difference.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
633 Posts
Everything spikes me so it is just a matter of how high do I want to go before I start to return to a normal orbit.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I make a chili rellenos casserole.

5 eggs
1 c cream

Mix in blender.

Layer in a large oiled baking pan (the thinner this comes out, the better):

1 (little) can green chilis smoked if you can get em

1 c shredded cheddar

1 c red salsa of choice

1 c shredded jack

another can of chilis

another cup of cheese or both cheeses, whatever you have left (this is simple food not fussy)

Pour egg and cream over.

Bake till brown and making your stomach howl, at 350, 325 if glass pan -- I think about 45 min to 1 hr.

I have people at work begging for more.

1) a

G

·
sounds good Foxl... I don't recall ever seeing cans of chilli here we have the fresh ones or the pastes you can buy. I also wouldn't know what a 'jack' is. Salsa would spike me too... the stuff they sell here is full of sugar. :D

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Shanny, I don't approve either. I read a while back that the old ones are fine, but the new ones, made in China with a different sand tend to explode not uncommonly. Best to be safe and use a metal pan, but not nearly so pretty for video I guess! I loved the salsa recipe, by the way...I've never made it, but will try when tomatoes come in this year...not long either!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I usually bring a baked cheesecake as its so easy and everyone loves it...with a nut crust...but if I don't know if there is anything I'll be able to eat hmmm I'd make little meatballs flavoured with cumin with a greek yoghurt sauce with fresh mint, or thai fish cakes. I tend to take protein and that way I know I can pick at other things but I know I have something to eat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I did the chile relleno casserole for dinner. My husband wanted me to add some meat, so I made up a Taco mix with organic ground beef and chipolte. I didn't have any canned chillies but found a couple of jalepenos in the fridge and add some olive. It came out great. Thanks for the inspiration.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
299 Posts
We have a family thing too.. my granddaughters are having birthdays this week.. one will be 16 the other 14. I'm taking 9 pounds of pulled pork and also rhubarb crisp (topping is butter, splenda, and almond meal). My chef son-in-law is always very aware of my food limitations so is making grilled vegetables. There will be stuff I can't have but also good things for me. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I did the chile relleno casserole for dinner. My husband wanted me to add some meat, so I made up a Taco mix with organic ground beef and chipolte. I didn't have any canned chillies but found a couple of jalepenos in the fridge and add some olive. It came out great. Thanks for the inspiration.
We had it for dinner today (see what you started, Linda?! :D) & I added a sprinkle of bacon bits on top, so my sidekick would know there wuz MEAT in there! heheh! I had to sub jalapeños too, for lack of green chiles, but no problem. I even had to monkey with the cheeses, because I was running a little low, but never fear - cheddar, mozzarella & a little parmesan came through with flying colors! O hell - I may as well admit it - I even tinkered with the eggs . . . I added a spoonful of dry mustard! As Linda says, 'this is simple food not fussy.'

And this little concoction puffed up like the prettiest soufflé you ever saw . . . the meat-lover sidekick went back for THIRDS & I'm thinking if there weren't still half-a-pan left, I'd be begging for more myself! :D

Be sure to bake it long enough that it browns nicely & you'll be blessed with the delicious crusty edges - O yummm!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts