The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do with your insulin pens once they have "expired" (after the 28 days) but aren't quite empty?
In addition, when they are empty do you just throw them away?

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I was just wondering. I finished my first set of insulin pens today as out has been 28 days since I first opened and used them. I just wanted to be sure I dispose of them correctly

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is a shame that non of it is recyclable. I have used and thrown away a mountain of plastic in my lifetime. It kind of makes me sad.

O

·
0 Posts
yeah I throw them away. I agree Adjitator about the waste. I'm wondering why the pens aren't like the protaphane insulin pens where all you are replacing on it are the insulin and the needle and you keep the pen.... that would be less waste at least.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I store my used insulin pens and cartridges in a plastic container, my sharps in a big sharps container, and take it all to a local "Household Hazardous Waste" drop off every few months.

OM - Novolog (Novorapid) is available here in cartridges for use with Novopen and Novopen Jr. That's what I use. Unfortunately, NovoNordisk discontinued selling the Levemir cartridges in the States, so I'm stuck with the Flexpen. I hope the cartridges are still available in Canada - I vacation there every year and buy Novorapid and Levemir cartridges on my way back home.

Jen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts