Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Dka

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Jen 
#1 ·
I am very concerned my mother has been put into the hospital over DKA. She was not a diabetic previously. She has been in the hospital since Thursday. She had flu like symptoms for about 2 weeks but after research on this I have found most of her complaints were symptoms of this beginning. She passed out and was unresponsive and rushed to the hospital. Friday she was thrashing in bed and not really talking to us. She had a blood sugar of 700 from blood tests. She has been on a high amount of insulin from a drip. Yesterday she was able to eat breakfast and lunch and started talking. I am not sure about dinner since I didn't call after dinner and they had a shift change. They told her today she isn't allowed to eat again and is still on a high insulin drip, however they did decrease it slightly.

I am very concerned about them saying she isn't allowed to eat. Does anyone know why they are saying this? Should I be very worried that they changed things up? They didn't tell me anything was wrong but I just wanted to know if this is normal or not?

Thank you

#2 ·
Hi and welcome.

The docs probably put her on a liquid diet until her numbers come down. I had the same thing done when I was admitted for DKA with levels over twice as high as your mom. So not unusual.

FYI...since you're asking for your mom and not yourself I moved this over to the the "Friends and Family" portion of the forum. Not to worry, you'll still get responses

Sent from my iPhone

#4 ·
They want her numbers down before they start adding solid foods back into her diet again. The problem is the foods they will give her will almost assuredly send her high again. Things like mashed potatoes, dressings, low fat milk, etc. The best thing would be to take her bacon! Lol

Sounds crazy I know but it will work. Check out www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and youll see.

Also check www.bloodsugar101.com especially how to lower blood sugar tab for more help

#5 ·
Welcome, Oglie,

So sorry your mother is having to go through this. But it's not unusual if one's diabetes comes on quickly and no one recognizes the symptoms. The hospital is the best place for her until they are able to get her blood sugar down.

You will find that joining this forum is the best thing you can do for your mother. We have the collective experience and knowledge to help you guide her through the maze toward gaining control over this.

The Blood Sugar 101 site will give you a solid knowledge of what diabetes is, and how to control it. Please read the section on "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar" especially. When you have read the information there, ask any questions you have. Many have been exactly where your mother is now, and have won the battle and gained good blood sugar control.

Your mother is lucky to have a caring child who is going to the effort to learn about this. We will support you all the way.

#6 ·
Thank you for the reassurance. I saw her the first day in the hospital and she really couldn't talk and she was thrashing around. Now she can talk now that they have lowered her sugar somewhat, but she told me on the phone that she needed to see me because it might be the last time.

I am really hoping it's just because she is confused that why she is in the hospital. She was in a diabetic coma and her speech is slurred. I hope this is just part of the recovery from such high sugar.

#7 ·
Thank you for the reassurance. I saw her the first day in the hospital and she really couldn't talk and she was thrashing around. Now she can talk now that they have lowered her sugar somewhat, but she told me on the phone that she needed to see me because it might be the last time. I am really hoping it's just because she is confused that why she is in the hospital. She was in a diabetic coma and her speech is slurred. I hope this is just part of the recovery from such high sugar.
I'll just speak from my experience.

If she's able to make a call that soon, she's doing great! I was in and out of consciousness for three days and was basically drunk for a several after that. That's basically how she's feeling right now. Drunk. Though she doesn't realize that. She's more scared and confused right now, at least that's how I felt. Once she gets her BG more stable she will start to feel and sound tons better.

Sent from my iPhone

#8 ·
I was at the hospital today and they gave me more information than before. When she was admitted her BG was 1600. The first day I seen her it was down to 700 then 500 and so on. Today she was at normal levels. 138-118. She was a little groggy and confused in the morning but she cleared up a bit later on. She went for a walk too. The doctors said if there was another hour that passed before getting to the hospital she would have been dead. Her kidneys started to shut down. She miraculously has no damage anywhere in her body (heart, brain, kidneys, etc). She still can't eat but that is due to an inflamed pancreas from the first day they did let her eat. As far as I can tell she is on the up and up. I am relieved and I know it will take a while.

#9 ·
Hi Oglie,

A BG of 1600 mg/dl is the highest ever that I have heard of. Someone on the forum once reported something like 1300+ a long time ago. But I see that you've caught it in time and the recovery process is on. The newer numbers are really impressive. I'm also happy that the high numbers have not caused any permanent damage. I'm sure your mother will be just fine in a few days & back home.

Do take advantage of the wealth of information on this site & the websites that have been recommended from time to time. If you are updated, I'm sure that will benefit of your mother as well. Hoping for her fast recovery.

#14 ·
So glad your Mom is doing better.

When your mother is released from the hospital she may notice that her vision is very blurry. Let her know that this will in all likelihood improve over a few weeks to a couple of months - don't buy new glasses! Astronomical blood sugar plays havoc with many body functions, and fuzzy vision is a very common result. When I was recovering from my fun, introductory DKA episode I had to wear two pair of reading glasses in order to work....I must have looked like a crazy lady!!

Jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.