The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen in the postings about the tests to know if you are a Type 1 or Type 2. I had been told in diabetes class I was a type 2 because I did not have diabetes as a child.
I started on oral medications, but now I am on Lantus and Humalog. Does that make me a Type 1?
I see there is a test to know, but does it really matter?:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think for me it would be piece of mind, and knowing what exactly I'm dealing with might help me cope/understand what and why my body reacts the way it does. I don't know from an actual medical stand point

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have seen in the postings about the tests to know if you are a Type 1 or Type 2. I had been told in diabetes class I was a type 2 because I did not have diabetes as a child.
I started on oral medications, but now I am on Lantus and Humalog. Does that make me a Type 1?
I see there is a test to know, but does it really matter?:eek:
Just being on insulin does not make you a type 1. If you were well controlled on oral meds in the past, all that happened is that you progressed to needing insulin. You are an insulin-dependent type 2. I fully expect to need insulin some day too, and I will still be type 2. The presence of antibodies in your blood is the determining factor for type 1 or 1.5 - not age or weight or height or political preference or anything else people might have you believe. Your blood alone will tell which type you are, but they have to test it for GAD antibodies.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In my opinion it does matter because the antibodies are a big deal. Not only do they cause type 1 diabetes but they can and do cause a whole lot of other even more deveststing diseses than type 1. I have 4 of them and need to take 6 horemone replacements just to stay alive. So the chose is really yours. In the end if they are there they will make thier presence known. If they are there, there is not a single thing you can do about it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Types 2's do not morph into Type 1's when they go on insulin. They are actually 2 diferent diseases. I really think the medical community doesn't always understand the difference. Type 1 is usually an autoimmune attack of the pancreas. Most Type 1's will test positive on the GAD antibody test and very low on the C-Peptide test. A lot of people are misdiagnosed as Type 2's because they are in their 20's, 30's , 40's or even older. They are never even offered the extra tests. There is also something called Type 1.5 which is slow onset Type 1. These people appear as Type 2's but test positive on the GAD Antibody test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts