The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding out that when I don't eat any intentional carbs - that I'm hanging out in the 70s most of the day. I realize it's not hypo, but part of me wonders if it's okay? Considering I'm nursing a baby, it worries me a little more than it would if I wasn't. I do eat a piece of fruit here and there. Mostly it's protein, fats, dairy and loads of veggies. I do feel a little shaky sometimes. Would it be better to stay in the 80s?

I'm talking about in between meals, not the postprandial which is usually in the 80-90 range. I'm in the 70s before I eat.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For example... I was 75 before I ate... and a good 30-45 minutes later I'm at 74.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You are managing your diabetes via diet, and not going low, right?

I have no medical knowledge to contribute on your nursing consideration, but it sounds to me like your body is behaving as if it's a normal body - and I'm envious!

In your shoes, unless I found medical evidence that there was a reason not to be normal, I'd keep doing what I was doing admirably well.

Did I mention envy?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, I know many people would love to have my numbers. I guess I just worry it could be too low... before when I'd get to the 70s I'd eat something, but I was on medication and I knew I'd be in the 60s if I didn't. I'm not on any medication... just eating right and I haven't seen anything under 70 in a while.

So 70s are "normal" and not too low, then.

I used to have hangups about low-carb while nursing b/c every site advises against it... then I realized for thousands of generations, humans has a species didn't really eat carbs (other than fruit and starchy veg)anyway and had healthy babies who grew strong on breast milk. I'm still a little wary, but I don't seem to have any issues yet.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am so glad you posted this. While I don't stay in the 70's I do fall into the 70's a couple of hours after eating. I also get shaky. I am on metformin but that doesn't cause lows does it? I am tired of the blood sugar roller coaster. Of course, it had been almost 4 hours since I ate. I went from 116 two hours after eating to 74 in two hours!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honestly, Metformin CAN cause low blood sugars. It is unusual, but it can happen. If you go too low, be sure to contact your health care provider.

Sources:
Metformin and Blood Sugar
Can metformin alone cause hypoglycemia? - Metformin Questions - Ask a Pharmacist on Everyday Health - EverydayHealth.com
Metformin: MedlinePlus Drug Information

Of specific interest is this:
Metformin is not likely to cause hypoglycemia when used alone. This is based on the way it works. Diabetes medications are more likely to cause hypoglycemia when they work by increasing the amount of insulin the body produces. However, metformin may cause hypoglycemia under certain circumstances. This includes not eating enough food or missing meals, exercising too much and not eating enough to cover the exercise, and consuming alcohol.
I hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It does help. I went back to look at what I ate today and it hasn't been very much. Still struggling with the nausea from metformin. Sorry to hijack your thread wdmama!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The 70s aren't too low if they don't feel too low. Envy is a good word for your numbers. I was there for a while walking ten miles a day but no longer have that kind of time. Bravo for you. Whatever you're doing it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts